MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Backcountry Trash - Me venting

JoMo

When I got back to a small glade where I set up camp during my 2nd season deer hunt in CO, I stumbled upon another backcountry users trash. It appeared they had attempted to stash it all under a tree but that it had been strewn about by critters. I can only think it was from another hunter, as a typical backpacker would likely not set up camp in an area like this. I doubt anyone on this forum would take the time to hike into a spot and not hike their trash out, but I wanted to remind ourselves to continue to set good examples and to leave the place cleaner than when we showed up. Thank you to you all who help promote hunting and our practices to those around you! Okay - done venting. Thanks.

IMG_1873.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg

Thanks for the post. This makes me SOOOOO angry. I do not understand the person that will pack in full containers (cans, bottle or wrappers) and not pack out the garbage. I pack out so many beer cans from jack wads that just throw them around. You go into the back country and see this then hear people complain about roads being shut and access becoming harder and they can't figure out why.

That is the same people that throw cans, bottles, coffee cups and wrapper along the road. PIGS

I found a beer can way up on the mountain just this morning! I do love myself a beer every now and then while hunting (usually at camp) but for gods sake was it that heavy that this person couldn't carry a beer can down hill?!

Some things will never change, pigs are pigs and probably always will be, still pisses me off though. I've often wondered when I see garbage even if just a can or bottle, how much trouble it would be at the very least to dig a small hole, smash the can or bottle and bury it, shit they packed the damn thing full for miles you would think this wouldn't be too much to ask, but then as I said, pigs are pigs.

Yep, just because someone buys all the lightweight backcountry gear, hikes in miles and miles, sleeps on the edge of a cliff to be on a bull or buck at first light doesn’t mean they’re not lazy slobs. Similar to those that leave a bunch of meat behind because it was too much to bring out in one load. Solution.....stay home if you’re a turd.

I picked up a fair amount of garbage in the Colorado backcountry during first rifle season this year also. My list included: Coors cans, ramen noodle wrappers, candy bar wrappers, and a freshly discarded Heineken bottle. Man, I hate litterbugs and seeing garbage in the woods is a real bummer.
Thanks for helping keep the Colorado Rockies a cleaner place.

That is disturbing; not all that unusual but disturbing never-the-less. Pack it in pack it out should be just common sense, but you know what they say about common sense – ‘it ain’t all that common’.

On another forum I visit frequently related to hiking Colorado’s highest peaks, someone noticed some trash in one of our high mountain basins; some folks on the forum were quick to point the finger at hunters for the specific incident – and perhaps rightly so. Point is, as a group somehow we have allowed these behaviors enough to where people automatically assume it ‘must have been some slob hunters’.

I figured I would be preaching to the choir here, but after reading the responses to this thread I am not so sure. I will give both of these the benefit of the doubt here, but feel they still need to be called out:

Bambistew: "When you're counting half ounces, leaving trash makes sense..."

Implying that makes it okay? Hopefully you are joking. Actually I assume you are, but since I don’t know you…

u2199: "I've often wondered when I see garbage even if just a can or bottle, how much trouble it would be at the very least to dig a small hole, smash the can or bottle and bury it"

Please read this in the kindest way, but…No! Try again! Burying bottles and cans is not an acceptable answer in my opinion. Yes it may be easy to dig that hole, but ‘easy’ is not always ‘right’. Bottles and cans should be carried out and recycled. This should be the minimum acceptable behavior.

I picked up a fair amount of garbage in the Colorado backcountry during first rifle season this year also. My list included: Coors cans, ramen noodle wrappers, candy bar wrappers, and a freshly discarded Heineken bottle. Man, I hate litterbugs and seeing garbage in the woods is a real bummer.
Thanks for helping keep the Colorado Rockies a cleaner place.

Man, I found a ton of garbage as well and given our proximity I bet it was the same group or individual I packout: numerous ramen packets, coors cans, heineken bottle and bud bottle, alaska game bags wrapper, plastic gloves, Gatorade bottles, MT House meals, and tons of candy wrappers.

The things that get under my skin the most are the gloves and game bag wrapper, if you are about to pack out 200+ lbs of meat can you put 1oz of garbage in your pack.

Man, I found a ton of garbage as well and given our proximity I bet it was the same group or individual I packout: numerous ramen packets, coors cans, heineken bottle and bud bottle, alaska game bags wrapper, plastic gloves, Gatorade bottles, MT House meals, and tons of candy wrappers.

The things that get under my skin the most are the gloves and game bag wrapper, if you are about to pack out 200+ lbs of meat can you put 1oz of garbage in your pack.

I guarantee we will be finding those disposable blades laying on the ground because guys will just toss them away when they replace them. I have already seen one next to a gut pile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back