Caribou Gear

Advice for 2018 Wyoming hunts.

Nathan34

Hello, I have posted on here before and got some great feedback. My buddy and I will have 3 points for antelope,deer for 2018 and are looking to see what are some areas with decent public access and the chance at reputable size animals. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here is a tool I’ve found quite helpful when planning out my draw applications:

http://diyhuntingmaps.com/p/wy-antelope-statewide-unit-map.html

In that link the key pieces of information are:

1) in the table under “unit profile” see “variable” labeled “public land” which tells the percentage of the unit is public

2) in the next table down “available license” hit “non-resident” and then (for does/type 6) “random draw” and (for bucks/type 1) “preference points” is default and look for odds on doe/fawn tags and min number of points necessary for type 1

Generally speaking the units that are hard to get points-wise are that way due to the abundance of access not because monster specimens lie behind each tree, although there are exceptions to that rule.

I always buy a Gazzetteer (sp?) Atlas when shopping units for the proverbial 40,000 ft view.

Remember to look at the Wyoming Game & Fish site for walk-in management & HMAs too. Those lands don’t register as public but hunting-wise they’re similar.

Once you’ve looked things over and narrowed your search to a few particular units come back and ask about experience with them here and you’ll likely get a better response.

Good luck in your quest,

Efw

3 points for each species will get you onto some pretty good units, especially for deer. Here's what I think you should do: Make a list of units that required 2-3 points to draw in 2017 (See WYG&F website), then research those units individually. All such units I know of off the top of my head would yield a great hunt. I don't think going by percentage of public land alone is a good idea. Go to the WYG&F hunt planner. Some units with very little public land still have good public access via the AccessYes program (don't forget to donate ;-). Some units with a higher percentage of public land may not have very good public road access.

Last edited:
Back