Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Loading for less recoil

Huntforadventure

Hello All,

I was curious if anyone has successfully loaded rounds to allow some people that may be turned off by recoil to shoot.

I have a .308 and would like to tune down the power for my girlfriend to give it a shot. The only other rifle I have is .22, and she is now interested in trying a step up. I think the .308 may be to much to quickly, and would like to avoid purchasing a new rifle right away for her to try. I am hoping that I can handload something with less powder and still remain accurate. Any considerations or advice I may not think of?

thanks all.

I agree, use published loads, don't just assume that less powder is safe. Light bullets help significantly, stick to something in the 100-120 gr range. Perhaps even consider some of the commerical reduced recoil loads.

I've played around with reduced power loads... was a lot of tinkering for not much of any gain. You'll probably be surprised what she is capable of. I've had a number of of women shoot magnums up to 375, and they had little to no rifle shooting experience. I would just buy a box or two of the managed recoil ammo and shoot that, vs trying to dink around and find a reduced load that shoots well. Once she's comfortable work up to full loads.

Good luck!

I've had great luck loading down with H 4895, as per the instructions on their website. I've been loading 145 grain bullets in my 7mm-08, to about 2400fps and the recoil is no problem for my 8 and 10 year old sons. Frankly, I think they're pretty fun to shoot, too.

The above 2 gents are right on the money. I've made some 60% reduced loads with h4895 per hodgdon using cheap sierras. Kids can shoot em all day long. And they're extremely accurate.

Just get her a rifle of her own. 243, 260 ect. I paid $299 for a Mosberg Patriot in 243. If she's not worth $299, dump her!

I started my kids off shooting a 280 Rem. Handloaded 115 gr bullets down to about 1700fps. (I believe the powder used was IMR SR4759 - but not sure) No noticeable kick and the kids loved shooting Dad's deer rifle. At the time (30+ years ago) the Speer reloading book had reduced loads listed for a number of cartridges.
As others have said DO NOT load cartridges below published charges - bad things can happen.

Back