John Lewton does it again....

Its not the genetics, its the feed. Those genetics have been spread all over. Its the feed. They grow really fast and die relatively young up there. They have found that its less about the genetics than where the sheep end up. They put some super genetics into the sheep herd here south of Dillon. I doubt a 180 ram ever came out of the unit. Im not sure where they got the original sheep for the Breaks introduction..probably Sun River, since then they have trapped many sheep from the breaks and moved them all over the place. Some areas grow big rams others not so much

Last edited:
Its not the genetics, its the feed. Those genetics have been spread all over. Its the feed. They grow really fast and die relatively young up there. They have found that its less about the genetics than where the sheep end up. They put some super genetics into the sheep herd here south of Dillon. I doubt a 180 ram ever came out of the unit. Im not sure where they got the original sheep for the Breaks introduction..probably Sun River, since then they have trapped many sheep from the breaks and moved them all over the place. Some areas grow big rams others not so much

This...they moved some sheep from the Breaks to Nebraska. Unfortunately they got pneumonia and other domestic sheep related diseases before they could find out how big they'd get

There has been talking of moving sheep around but FWP will not do a transplant to any unit that has had a die off. In Montana that narrows down options immensely. There was talk of a transplant in the upper Bitterroot but because of the die offs in HD270 and the new area was adjacent the idea quickly died.

There has been talking of moving sheep around but FWP will not do a transplant to any unit that has had a die off. In Montana that narrows down options immensely. There was talk of a transplant in the upper Bitterroot but because of the die offs in HD270 and the new area was adjacent the idea quickly died.

Personally I think this is a solid policy. No sense going to the effort and expense of moving sheep just so they can get sick.

I can confirm from a reliable source involved in the sheep world that it is 208 3/8” but obviously has to be panel scored this winter/spring.

Is that the official score?....world record is 208 3/8
The largest hunter-harvested ram scores 208 3/8", but the world record is a pick-up from BC that scores 209 4/8" (likely to be replaced by a MT pick-up in the near future).

Not sure why the B&C world record sheep page has not been updated with the BC ram.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back