1. Default Spring bear suggestions

Not asking for someones honey hole just wondering what states would be a good idea for spot stalk maybe bait black bear hunt this spring. Im driving from MS so that is a consideration and price is a big consideration. Just asking for what states to look at. Low tag cost and good opportunity.

A nonresident Spring bear tag in Oregon is $15 and some are OTC. Most you have to pay $8 application fee and of those a decent percentage can be drawn with no points. You will not find a less expensive state to hunt Spring bear. No bait or hounds but a wide spectrum of spot and stock options. Some really big bears as well as all color phases........except white.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hulburt View Post
    A nonresident Spring bear tag in Oregon is $15 and some are OTC. Most you have to pay $8 application fee and of those a decent percentage can be drawn with no points. You will not find a less expensive state to hunt Spring bear. No bait or hounds but a wide spectrum of spot and stock options. Some really big bears as well as all color phases........except white.
    Joe, I've looked into that a little bit, since you're always posting nice bears you take out there. A NR must also buy a $160.50 hunting license in addition to that $15.50 tag. Still not a bad deal, but puts it in the same range as Idaho.

I need to visit Oregon at some point, so I may do either a bear or a blacktail hunt there one of these days. If you consider drive time and fuel from the east though, most folks would come out ahead to just go to Montana or Idaho for a spring hunt.
    Last edited by LCH; 10-24-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LCH View Post
    Joe, I've looked into that a little bit, since you're always posting nice bears you take out there. A NR must also buy a $160.50 hunting license in addition to that $15.50 tag. Still not a bad deal, but puts it in the same range as Idaho.

I need to visit Oregon at some point, so I may do either a bear or a blacktail hunt there one of these days. If you consider drive time and fuel from the east though, most folks would come out ahead to just go to Montana or Idaho for a spring hunt.
    Yep, if you figure fuel and drive time it would probably be less expensive to stop in Idaho even though the tag there is $186 and license is $150. I've never seen any really big bears in Idaho myself but plan to hunt up there in the Spring one of these years and see if I can change that.

I will say that due to the fact we have no hound or bait hunting in Oregon it makes for some great spot and stalk hunting. Unfortunately we are overrun with bears and they appear to be impacting deer and elk numbers a lot in some places so if anyone wants to come kill one it would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hulburt View Post
    Yep, if you figure fuel and drive time it would probably be less expensive to stop in Idaho even though the tag there is $186 and license is $150. I've never seen any really big bears in Idaho myself but plan to hunt up there in the Spring one of these years and see if I can change that.

I will say that due to the fact we have no hound or bait hunting in Oregon it makes for some great spot and stalk hunting. Unfortunately we are overrun with bears and they appear to be impacting deer and elk numbers a lot in some places so if anyone wants to come kill one it would be helpful.
    You're making Oregon sound pretty good! I'm still trying to build back PTO after a job change last year, but I'd eventually like to start doing an annual spring bear hunt. It's tough going a year between trips out west.

Idaho does have some areas where a bear tag is $40, but I've never hunted them. I have done a couple Montana spring hunts and a California fall hunt.

6. Default

Thanks guys awesome info so far. I have heard on pod casts that Idaho is a tough hunt and not a super target rich environment. Im out there for the fun and meat but like to see critters as well. Not looking for a booner, just good meat and good fun. Oregon is a poke from Mississippi but I graduated from OSU online and this may be a good excuse to actually see Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by johnh9411 View Post
    Not asking for someones honey hole just wondering what states would be a good idea for spot stalk maybe bait black bear hunt this spring. Im driving from MS so that is a consideration and price is a big consideration. Just asking for what states to look at. Low tag cost and good opportunity.
    If you are interested in coming to Ontario i will help you out.
    I will prebait for you,
    I will have a place for you to stay
    You will have bait for the week
    Tag over Counter is 250$ CND
    You only have to pay me for whatever time I put into it.
    Season open May 1 until June 15

Quote Originally Posted by skull View Post
    If you are interested in coming to Ontario i will help you out.
    I will prebait for you,
    I will have a place for you to stay
    You will have bait for the week
    Tag over Counter is 250$ CND
    You only have to pay me for whatever time I put into it.
    Season open May 1 until June 15
    thats a pretty generous offer!