Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Powder Reccomendations

huntid73

Ok, so I am getting a new CVA Optima in the Northwest setup since I live in Idaho. My question is this: CVA reccomends musket caps for the Northwest models for ignition method, and I am looking for a loose powder to be legal for muzzleloader only hunts, so what powder have you guys had success with? I will also be looking at shooting Powerbelt bullets.

I'd go with real black powder, you'll have a much more reliable ignition source rather than the sub powders. Goex, Olde Eynsford, both excellent powders.

I've shot over 50 LBS of Old Eynsford thru my 45-70 in the last year and a half. It's very good powder and has soft fowling and is easy to clean up. I've used both 2f and 1 1/2 f. This winter I will be ordering another 25 LBS of 1 1/2 for next summers shooting. In my TC Hawken 50 cal and GRRW 58 cal I use Goex 2f. When I run out of that I will go with OE 1 1/2 in both rifles.

Dan

I'll echo the recommendation for Olde Eynsford. Swiss 1.5F would be also on my list. Standard Goex FFg is 3rd.

I've never shot the black powder substitutes that can be ignited with a musket cap (Blackhorn requires a 209 primer)

Like everyone else, use the real thing. Goex is pretty common and is a good general purpose powder. I've have great luck with Swiss both in muzzleloaders and cartridge guns. 2 F should be your standard if you're shooting .50 cal. I've not shot the Old Eynsford, but most everyone seems to have good reports from it.

I'll be different and recommend 777. I hunt in the wet nasty of Western Washington during muzzleloader season with 777 and a musket cap. I've never had a misfire with that combo and get consistent velocity and good accuracy.

Ok, so I am getting a new CVA Optima in the Northwest setup since I live in Idaho. My question is this: CVA reccomends musket caps for the Northwest models for ignition method, and I am looking for a loose powder to be legal for muzzleloader only hunts, so what powder have you guys had success with? I will also be looking at shooting Powerbelt bullets.

thank you for asking this question, I didn't know there was an option for an inline in ID. this is so cool, ML next year :)

If not some type of 'real black' powder I'd go with 777.

I switched to 777 and have had very good results. I think it will come down to your personal preference and what your particular gun likes to eat. I would try a few and see what shoots best...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back