Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Best 7mm08HT for under $750?

VikingsGuy

Looking to buy 14 yr old son (big enough not to need compact model) a 7mm08, thinking about Tikka T3x lite. Any other recommendations before I pull the trigger (pun intended)?

With a little looking on the web you can pick up a Ruger American for way under $400. Use the rest to get a Leupold scope. That little combo will probably shoot far beyond a set up costing twice the $$$.

Ruger American can be had for under $400, would be a great starter rifle. They are usually very accurate out of the box. I have three of them, 6.5 Creedmoor Predator, 22.250 and 450 Bushmaster Ranch, all shoot moa. Gunner46 was responding as I was.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with the Tikka.

This...though for a few bucks more you could get a Kimber Hunter. I have a Rem 700 7mm-08 that shoots nice though for the price I think the Tikka would be a winner.

Savage Axis if you're going cheap can be had for $275...spend the balance on a good scope and have $ leftover for ammo or reloading equipment.

Savage model 11 is on sale at BPS right now. I have one extremely accurate and smooth action. I think it’s 499 with mail in rebate. My son has an axis and likes mine better, it comes with Nikon bdc scope but I didn’t like the bdc so I upgraded it later on.

I'd get the Ford!

Have you cosidered going out and looking at rifle's with him to see what he like's?

I'd get the Ford!

Have you cosidered going out and looking at rifle's with him to see what he like's?

Yup. We ended up looking at Ruger American, Savage Model 11 and Tikka in our price range. Which other than the Tikka wasn't new as he has a Ruger American in .223 and I have a Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter in .243 so he has shot those two brand/models already. He was happy with any one of them so the RAR would have been the easy buy, but I have heard very good things about Tikka and thought it might be worth the try. Thought HT was a good place to validate the thinking or to get new ideas. Looks like we are all on the same track so we just need to make a final selection from a short list of decent options. Thanks.

I got my wife a Weatherby 7mm-HT and have been extremely impressed with it. Shot a three shot group the other day 3/4" at 100 using Nosler Accubonds. She's killed two elk and a mule deer with that little gun! And they are usually right around $500

I got my wife a Weatherby 7mm-HT and have been extremely impressed with it. Shot a three shot group the other day 3/4" at 100 using Nosler Accubonds. She's killed two elk and a mule deer with that little gun! And they are usually right around $500

..a Weatherby Howa (Vanguard) or a Wby Weatherby?

To the OP's query...Tikka

7mm-08 is a very accurate round, lots of projectile options to load. Spouse has a Savage 11 in 7mm-08. Loves it.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the rifles mentioned.

I’d go Tikka or Ruger depending on cash.

Tikka would be an awesome option. We have the Savage Axis and Ruger American in our house. These are budget rifles but both shoot 1 inch groups with Hornady bullets. Not sure what the Howas run but I've used Randy's before and they are great as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back