PEAX Equipment

Idaho general deer hunt last week

MITCHMO

Wow Idaho is an eye opener! Just got done chasing deer and elk for 8 days and had a tough hunt. Only saw 2 bucks personally the whole time and we killed both. Fortunately they were good deer. This is my first muley in the mountains. We killed 4 total and I think the key was a little snow to locate a buck track and try to follow it to get a shot. Also making sure to stick to some sort of foot trail because the dry ground was just too loud to stalk them. Once we did this, we killed some deer. We had wolves in our area which probably didn't help either. I probably would go back but just focus on elk. We were on the eastern edge of the state.
IMG_1211.jpg

Congrats ! As for not many deer.... I know u have to hunt when there are seasons obviously but I have no idea why someone would go hunting for a mule deer when they aren't rutting ... I will never go on a mule deer hunt before the 10th of November period

Congrats on a great buck and equally good photo.

I'm hunting central Idaho again this year. You saw 2 more bucks in huntable areas than I have so far. All bucks I have seen have been in gardens, pastures, or crossing the road at night. I have found elk and bighorn sheep, but not even a doe while hunting.

Well done, congratulations! Any pictures of the other one(s)?

Congrats ! As for not many deer.... I know u have to hunt when there are seasons obviously but I have no idea why someone would go hunting for a mule deer when they aren't rutting ... I will never go on a mule deer hunt before the 10th of November period

Your gonna miss out on some really cool early season high country hunts, where you can still see 30-60 deer per day. Here you can't rifle hunt during the rut OTC, which is why Idaho routinely shoots the best general season bucks.

Great buck and it takes a truly great hunter to kill a mature mule deer when they aren’t rut crazed stupid! I totally agree TWSNOW18, that Idaho is far superior to MT for a general season mule deer hunt based on the fact they don’t general season hunt through the entire rut!

That's a great deer congrats!
October can be tuff but overcoming obstacles is why hunting is so rewarding. If you stay home because it's too hard then you didn't want a deer very bad. If you bust your butt and come out with nothing but some knowledge and experience, well thats better than nothing.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back