Caribou Gear

NM Elk (No shots fired but still successful hunt)

prhunter

So this year I was fortunate enough to draw an elk tag in south central NM.

I spent the entire summer driving up to my unit, getting to know the roads and coming up with a plan. I also did extensive e-scouting in an effort to be well prepared for this hunt.

Arrived in the unit two days before the opener. After setting up camp, headed out to a high point to glass. About an hour before sunset, I spotted a nice bull coming out of the trees. Later that afternoon, I also spotted a small herd that contained several cows and two nice bulls, I was happy to say the least.

Second scouting day we took a hike to a different spot to check it out. My buddy spotted a small herd in that area including a nice bull. That afternoon we headed back to that same high spot from the previous day and the hers with the two hood balls was there again. That night at camp we decided to be there in the morning in order to make a move on the herd.

Opening day had us sitting again at the high point way before sunrise. As it started to get light, we started glassing. Not after long I spotted a nice bull feeding in a clearing all by him self. Took out the range finder and measured, 513 yds. Too far for me so we watched until he bedded in the brush. Attempted to stalk him but it was really thick in there so I never found him.

Day three a really nice mule deer buck was spotted. (will try to include pic).

The rest of the week was spent the same way. Up before dawn, glassing all day and back to camp at night. On day 4 we spotted a small bull in a clearing. I quickly marked the spot and headed up there to see if I could cut the distance. On the way up I saw several deer and pushed a spike out of a draw but I didn't see the bull I was after.

That afternoon we glassed well into the evening with no results. Although no shots were fired I still consider this to have been a successful hunt. We put in the effort and did everything by the book. I was never presented with a shot but alot of different animals were spotted and I feel alot was learned during this time.

Now I'll be headed to AZ for some Coues deer action next week. Good luck to all who are out there. A special thanks to my buddy Raymond who took an entire week off from work to assist me on this hunt.
DSCF6783.jpgGlassing DSCF6786.jpgScouting DSCF6805.jpgopening day bull DSCF6837.jpgMule deer buck DSCF6856.jpgSunset last day

That thick stuff is real hard to glass & even harder to put a stalk on.
Glad you had a good hunt. Nice buck. Nice bulls.Next time.
A buddy sent me a scarf like that for glassing out here from Afganistan. His son sent them to us. Says they will save you from the elements.

Last edited:
Hunting in that thick stuff is terrible but that's why the elk are there. Sometime just finding an elk in the stuff is a success.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back