Caribou Gear Tarp

2017 Archery Bull Utah

ryno87

Here is my 2017 Archery Bull I was lucky enough to get in September. We dropped in the canyon first thing in the morning. It was foggy but we could hear bulls bugling.
While on our way down to the elk we saw several nice bucks and a cow and bull moose. By about 10:30 we set up for a calling situation. We heard a very deep and raspy bugle followed by some cow chirping.
Our first calling setup the bull was hanging up so we decided to get closer. We moved about 150 yds and setup again. This time the cows started chirping and multiple bugles erupted in the canyon. My buddy Terry
was setup to the right and my buddy Josh was 50 yds behind us calling. About 5 minutes into the second setup here came the cows and a 5x6 bull ready to run me over. I drew the cows stopped and ran below me.
I got ready to shoot the 5x6 and he turned as I released the arrow, clean miss. One the cows ran below me and started calling. So I hit my cow call and she stayed there and kept calling. The herd bull was 50 yds from me
a tree was between us and I could not see him I could just hear him pacing back and forth. And then I saw my bull coming to the cow that was talking. I drew early this time and he came out above the cow and below me.
He stopped at 15 yds. and I let it fly. The arrow hit him and he took off. I watched him run in a circle fall, get back up, run again, and fall for the last time. My buddy Terry was sneaking in on the herd bull he knew I shot but
had no idea I had a bull down. I couldn't walk down to the bull because the wind would blow the herd bull out and I wanted my buddy to try and get him. Terry was slipping in and about 30 minutes after the herd bull had enough.
He walked in front of Josh and I at about 60 yds. He was a beautiful 310-320 class bull. When Terry got back to us he told us about the stalk. Terry had the bull under 40 yds multiple times. He said the bull would just keep pacing back and forth or stop when vegetation was blocking him. What a great day it was, it had been about 7 years since I last shot a bull. I've passed up some bulls in the years past that I never should have with an otc tag. As well as missed some bulls in that time. And this year I was not going without elk meat. Next year I'll be a little more picky but not as picky as the years past. I did the Euro mount myself I watched the video Randy did on youtube for elk euros. I will do my own Euros from now on it's fairly easy and fun to do. I like the way they turned out as well.

2017 Elk.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0789 (1).jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back