Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Huh?
    I'll pass on the Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiptail View Post
    Of course you are correct. The wall street bailouts and Iraq war are over too. Should we stop talking about and questioning those government blunders as well?

Lots of Federal lands are jeopardy and these types of policies are not helping them. I find questioning the attitudes and decisions that created them is useful, constructive, and educational.
    Not sure why you continue to whine about how poorly NR's are treated.

For chit sake dude, Montana offers 17K NR elk/deer combos, another few thousand deer combos, deer b tags, pronghorn tags, up to 10% of their sheep, moose, and goat tags.

That's something to complain about?

So, you have to pay more for it...pay it or put a sock in it.

WY, same thing, over 50% of the pronghorn tags in this state go to NR's. A full 25% of sheep, bison, and goat tags, 20% of moose tags, 16% of our LQ elk tags, a total of 7250 full price elk licenses. NR's can draw every single tag in the leftover draw and buy every single tag that is still available after the second draw.

You have nothing to complain about and the fees are not keeping those that want to hunt as a NR from doing so if they make it even a small priority.

I'm not rich, and I hunted 3 states this year, including in a state where a NR elk tag cost me $800, just this year, (not counting the $140 annual license and money I spent on the 4 points I burned to get the tag).

Pay it greedily...
    Last edited by BuzzH; 12-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

Blog Entries

"Lots of Federal lands are [in] jeopardy and these types of policies are not helping them".

The inference here is that somehow being more able to, as a non-resident, hunt these federal lands is somehow tied to one's attitude about the actual land has been discussed here at some length.
    If one's attitude about a uniquely American concept and privilege is indeed tied to this, then I'd suggest - at very best - your vision barely makes it past the end of your nose.

^Yes^

If I never got to hunt another piece of Federal land again, no matter the price of the tags, I'd still fight to keep it Federal and in public hands for the host of other good reasons to do so.

A lot more at stake than hunting those Federal lands.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

Agreed.
    Fear the beard....

I don't want to be left out, but this eastern tenderfoot agrees too!

Complaining about NR tag fees/allocations is about like complaining about the weather. Might make you feel better (or not) but there's not much one can do about it. Just prepare for it and go on with your bidness...

Anyone care to clue me in on what %/success rate was for the 2017 combo??

8. Default

Anyone know the draw odds of the non-resident combo license in 2017? Was it 100%? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dunns7 View Post
    Anyone know the draw odds of the non-resident combo license in 2017? Was it 100%? Thanks
    For the first time in several years it was not 100%. There were a lot of people who didn't draw. Not sure what the % was.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    That's something to complain about?
    You are correct that it's not all bad news but the trend is not good.

Are you still applying in Oregon? New Mexico? Get any good sheep or goat permits in Alaska without paying through the nose for an outfitter?

Glad you support Federal lands with or without hunting privileges but there are many who are not like you.

Blog Entries

Are you still applying in Oregon? New Mexico? Get any good sheep or goat permits in Alaska without paying through the nose for an outfitter?

Glad you support Federal lands with or without hunting privileges but there are many who are not like you.
    Whiptail,
    Thank you for illustrating my point in the "really?" thread.
    These very threads which some folks have problems with - give me insight.
    Insight as to how and why we as public land hunters (actually owners and recreationalist's of all types) currently face the challenges we do.
    All it takes is a look in the collective mirror..........

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by onpoint View Post
    "Lots of Federal lands are [in] jeopardy and these types of policies are not helping them".

The inference here is that somehow being more able to, as a non-resident, hunt these federal lands is somehow tied to one's attitude about the actual land has been discussed here at some length.
    If one's attitude about a uniquely American concept and privilege is indeed tied to this, then I'd suggest - at very best - your vision barely makes it past the end of your nose.
    I'm not sure I follow you. My vision of fair and equitable distribution of permits and hunting privileges that's inclusive for both residents and nonresidents on Federal land so that more citizens support keeping our Federal lands?

I've only applied for a few things in Oregon over the years, mainly because I just don't know enough about the State to even know where to apply. Its not because of any policy that Oregon has, and has nothing to do with Federal lands. New Mexico, I have applied in the past, but don't anymore for a couple reasons. I don't apply for elk, pronghorn or deer there because I have all that I want in the other States I apply for. I don't like the idea of having to go with an outfitter and the odds for sheep there are long...plus I already drew a Desert in Arizona. I cant apply for OIL oryx, because I drew that too. My reasons for applying there or not have nothing to do with Federal land ownership. AK, I've shot blacktails, muskox, moose, and dall sheep there...I "paid out the nose" for my sheep to the tune of $4750 and shot a record book ram. Once again, Federal land ownership had no bearing on why I hunt AK or not.

Every State I've chosen to apply for tags in and hunt, I gladly pay the NR fees and don't complain about it. If I feel its worth it, I apply, if not, I don't. Pretty simple, but I don't complain that the fees should be lower because those states have Federal Lands within their border, or that I'm being limited by the number of tags I can apply for.

I support Federal lands and the continued control by the Federal Government. I also support States continuing to control the game within their boarders, including limiting NR opportunities and charging NR more.

Its a good system, and works just fine.

-Norman Maclean

I find it funny that some complain about non resident prices in Montana. I'm a resident, and still hunt out of state, every year. Hell last year I hunted WA for elk. I applied for a 'quality' elk tag. It cost me $600 to apply for a non refundable application. When I didn't draw, I was stuck with a 6 day, $600 muzzleloader SPIKE only elk tag, you should of seen the look on some locals faces when I told them that, as they were checking out my trophy spike that I was able to take on the hunt haha I wouldn't trade that hunt for the world and might apply next year. After that I was off to Idaho for a late season elk hunt that ended up being -29 and several feet of snow. Ate that $650 tag 2 week tag. Boo hoo. I'd pay twice as much for either experience.

Wanna know that the difference is between those tags and a tag in montana? A tag in montana is good for 11 weeks with the purchase of an archery stamp. A tag in montana is good for nearly the entire state, a tag in montana has potential for trophy class animals.

I'm not sure I follow you. My vision of fair and equitable distribution of permits and hunting privileges that's inclusive for both residents and nonresidents on Federal land so that more citizens support keeping our Federal lands?
    I suspect you follow him just fine, you just don't want to admit the selfish nature of your "support" for federal lands. Which you've stated is tied to your ability, as a NR, to hunt those lands that's tied to what you as fair access to tags.

Use the search function on here and you'll get plenty to read on that topic. You can wish away, but the legality of the system is well established and I don't see it changing.

Still couldn't find any official odds. I would guess at about a 50/50 chance for 2018.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234