Montana Elk Big Game Combo 2018, 2019 and going forward, how tough will the odds get

I got basically 1100 into my NR big game combo this year , going for a week in November sharing a cabin with 5 other guys will end up being $140/each for the week (cheap) but then fuel plan on 100/each , then just odds and ends and spending money for the week maybe another 2-300 . Call it 500 for that stuff . That's a 1600 trip and no guarantee on bringing anything home , deer is pretty much 100% but u never know . It's gotten spendy . I might go cheap and just try for the deer tag but that'll be hard to draw - best bet will be sticking with the combo buts it's a lot of $$$

Hi Guys, this sounds grim for me. Was planning a trip from the UK next year with Richard (Devon Deer) and two other guys, to hunt in Montana. This sounds like it has got a whole lot less easy as from what you are saying there is only a 60% chance of success and this means the the chance of all four of us getting a draw is 13%.
My dream is to hunt (and fish) in Montana what’s my best bet as a NR? Are the other western states just as over subscribed?
Cheers for any help.

BE

Hi Guys, this sounds grim for me. Was planning a trip from the UK next year with Richard (Devon Deer) and two other guys, to hunt in Montana. This sounds like it has got a whole lot less easy as from what you are saying there is only a 60% chance of success and this means the the chance of all four of us getting a draw is 13%.
My dream is to hunt (and fish) in Montana what’s my best bet as a NR? Are the other western states just as over subscribed?
Cheers for any help.

BE

Hi BE,

Don't panic just yet!
Even if we don't draw i am looking into other options, our group is me, you and Stephen, the other chap isn't confirmed as he has a very young baby, and he hasn't approached his work yet.

I am thinking Idaho as a second option, but if it is then it would be just you and me, the reason is the other 2 would have to complete the hunters ed, because they were born after 1975, that would mean an additional visit for them unless their UK hunting qualifications are accepted in Idaho, old farts like us born in the early 60's are exempt!

Cheers

Richard

I am hoping to come back to Montana next year, just like previous years it will be a NR big game combo application, this will be my 4th visit if i succeed in getting drawn, i am getting to know a few area's, but if i didn't draw i have no idea what the options would be for me as a NR in Idaho/Wyoming/Colorado.
The problem for me is exchange rates, if i applied for several states, then applied for a refund, i will get hammered with transaction fee's, any suggestions please?
Or maybe just apply to Montana and take a chance, no draw, no hunting for me.
Cheers
Richard
I don't have any answers for you but have the same problem! A few years ago it cost me $US300 to apply for tags just in WY - fees, exchange rate fees and exchange changes. I now have a $US account to reduce transaction costs, and I put my refunds in there when I apply for my CO preference points.

Also Idaho has OTC NR tags. You can still buy WY preference points I think if you wanted to hunt there in a few years.

PS you can do your hunters ed online.

Last edited:
With this news and prediction, it would probably be prudent to use plan B (Colorado or Wy) as Plan A and not even bother with MT! I think those of you that were planning on MT next year should really consider that as well! :)

I don't have any answers for you but have the same problem! A few years ago it cost me $US300 to apply for tags just in WY - fees, exchange rate fees and exchange changes. I now have a $US account to reduce transaction costs, and I put my refunds in there when I apply for my CO preference points.

Also Idaho has OTC NR tags. You can still buy WY preference points I think if you wanted to hunt there in a few years.

PS you can do your hunters ed online.

That $US account certainly looks like it would be worth investigating.

The hunters ed can be done online, but unless i have misunderstood the website it is in 2 parts, online, and then the 2nd part is a 'field' day, it is not completed until both parts have been passed.
I need to look at it again, ID,WY and CO.

Maybe i should start to look at New Zealand!

Cheers

Richard

Are you resident or NR? I'm speaking to the NR
Costs include travel, hotel, food, maybe outfitter (private/public) taxidermy, license, gear. For a non-resident costs are huge.

I have been going to MT since 99 most years. I am a NR I do not hire outfitters to hunt there don't really see the need for that. We use to stay in hotels but have began to camp over the last few years in an attempt to save $$. We have all the gear already and usually only skull animals unless they are really big which is rare. So the trip usually cost between 2000-2500 total and the license is half that cost.

I have been going to MT since 99 most years. I am a NR I do not hire outfitters to hunt there don't really see the need for that. We use to stay in hotels but have began to camp over the last few years in an attempt to save $$. We have all the gear already and usually only skull animals unless they are really big which is rare. So the trip usually cost between 2000-2500 total and the license is half that cost.

That's a lot ... atleast to me . My 1600. Or so is a lot . But I do some odds and ends to come up with the cash cuz it's the most fun I have all year

What are the new elk and deer fees in wyoming going to be next year?I'm actually hoping that improves my draw odds next season there.Seemed like alot of guys spent points this year ahead of the change

Are you resident or NR? I'm speaking to the NR
Costs include travel, hotel, food, maybe outfitter (private/public) taxidermy, license, gear. For a non-resident costs are huge.

I know this is a Montana thread, but spending money on most of that other stuff is a choice.

As a Colorado resident who traveled to Wyoming to hunt pronghorn this year, our tags were by far the most expensive part of the trip. No hotel - not even a tent - we slept in the back of our truck. No outfitter. No new gear needed - if you hunt at home, you can hunt out west. Food was the same we'd eat at home, just vacuum packed and frozen. The only cost was travel, which was like $60 in gas. This, of course, scales with distance from home, but I think the assumption that NR costs are huge and the tag is minor in comparison is ridiculous.

I know this is a Montana thread, but spending money on most of that other stuff is a choice.

As a Colorado resident who traveled to Wyoming to hunt pronghorn this year, our tags were by far the most expensive part of the trip. No hotel - not even a tent - we slept in the back of our truck. No outfitter. No new gear needed - if you hunt at home, you can hunt out west. Food was the same we'd eat at home, just vacuum packed and frozen. The only cost was travel, which was like $60 in gas. This, of course, scales with distance from home, but I think the assumption that NR costs are huge and the tag is minor in comparison is ridiculous.

My point exactly - the tag is a huge part of my cost ... if my NR combo trip costs 1600, the tag is 70% of the total cost .That is ridiculous.

That $US account certainly looks like it would be worth investigating.

The hunters ed can be done online, but unless i have misunderstood the website it is in 2 parts, online, and then the 2nd part is a 'field' day, it is not completed until both parts have been passed.
I need to look at it again, ID,WY and CO.

Maybe i should start to look at New Zealand!

Cheers

Richard

The Idaho field course requirement has been eliminated.

The Idaho field course requirement has been eliminated.

Thanks Brymoore, i was getting my info from here https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/education which states field is required, but you are better placed than I living there in Idaho.

But i also note that proof of having a hunting license issued previously by another state negates the need for the hunter education course, not that i am too worried as i was born before 1975, way before!

Cheers

Richard

We have done diy deer hunt in Montana the last 2 years (didn’t draw this year). The license is about half the cost and that is with us staying in hotels and eating out.

Cheers for any help.

BE

You can put in as a party for the general deer and elk tags. If one draws you all draw. That way your party isn't strung out with some drawing and some not.

What are the new elk and deer fees in wyoming going to be next year?I'm actually hoping that improves my draw odds next season there.Seemed like alot of guys spent points this year ahead of the change

I believe the elk special is now $1277. It might help draw odds some, but I bet WY still sells all of there NR tags next year.

I think that states should go to a flat fee for resident and NR. Raise the price for the in-state folks and lower it for out of state and the Fish and Game agencies will make more money and the everyman from elsewhere will have an easier time.

I think that states should go to a flat fee for resident and NR. Raise the price for the in-state folks and lower it for out of state and the Fish and Game agencies will make more money and the everyman from elsewhere will have an easier time.
That'll go over like a fart in church...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back