Archery Hunting Cow Elk

I am planning for an archery hunt next year and in Colorado it is going to be an OTC either sex tag. Mostly people go and archery hunt for bulls. I heard that bulls don't taste that good especially in the rut. Please correct me if I am wrong. So from that I just wanted to ask how would you archery hunt cow elk. And what are your views on hunting cow elk with a bow and how it is done.

Thanks

If you're looking for a cow I wouldn't worry about using calls too much. I've been able to locate cows before when they answered herd talk but you're generally not going to have them approach the way a bull would. You'll want to plan on spending plenty of time behind your binos. Spot and stalk, or if you can anticipate what route they take as they leave a feeding area and get there ahead of them, that works. I've kill a couple cows with my bow doing that.

On my cow hunt earlier this month I glassed a herd across a canyon in the morning, went to the general area that evening, and still-hunted through the aspens until I located a group. On an archery hunt I would think if the bulls are bugling they may have some cows nearby so I would just locate and sneak, maybe throw out a cpl calls sparingly.

They DEFINITELY come to cow calls.I called cows in on 2 different occasions this year ,both to 15 yards.The other suggestions would be good advise as well

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back