Caribou Gear Tarp

Airline or ship meat?

VAspeedgoat

My son and I are leaving soon to fill some pronghorn tags. We have a buck and a doe tag each. We will be flying into and out of Denver but hunting in eastern Wyoming. There is a game processor that says they can freeze and ship. Would that be easier or cheaper than paying the airline to get it home? I have no experience with flying to hunt so any suggestions would be appreciated.

How much does your airline charge for overweight = 100 lbs. ? I fly Alaska and they charge $75. Antelope don't weigh much when boned out.

I'd debone it and pack in coolers for the airline.You should get 2 boned out antelope in a cooler.

I'm hoping to tag 2 Sitka Blacktails in a couple of weeks. I plan on putting the boned out frozen vacuum sealed meat into my 0* sleeping bag, and then place the sleeping bag inside of a large dry bag. Easier for airline travel and I can get more lbs. of meat from that 100 lb. maximum when I don't use a cooler. I've done this many times before.

A hundred pound box/bag would be $200 additional. I think to check more than two things (gun case and duffle) would cost $150 plus the overweight charge. Thats how I understand it. I don't have an estimate on shipping cost.

You may want to clarify that with your airline. With Alaska the first 2 bags are $25 each, every bag after that is $75. An overweight or oversize bag is $75. It's not $25 + $75, or $75 + $75. You are not double charged, they go with the highest amount only.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and lend a helping hand, I have plenty of freezer room here in Cheyenne. Leaving it here will liberate you of all shipping stress. You're welcome. But on a serious note, good luck!

Sent you a PM. Take it on the plane, get it frozen ahead of time and keep your coolers under 50 lbs.

In my case, a 3rd checked bag cost the same as an overweight bag. So my 3rd bag might as well be 100 lbs.

I've got a little light weight scale that I take. Last trip I put 49# boneless (we killed 2) antelope in a soft side cooler no ice in zip lock bags this is really important. Then put one small zip lock in my duffle bag. All the meat was fresh not frozen. Paid for one extra bag fee. Meat was fine on arrival.

Nominally travel time is only a few hours, and when flying the baggage compartment is cold, but the problem is when your flight gets cancelled is Atlanta or something like that...

What Jwill said boned out antelope or processed will probably yield less than 40 lbs of meat. Get it frozen good and fly back with it. I usually ship all my clothes back usps in a box and bring cooler back. Going out cooler can act as packing bag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back