WY and MT antelope double

Flatrock

My 1,000th post here. Woohoo!!!

This year, I drew a MT antelope tag and also a 2nd choice WY tag. I had wanted to go separately for each hunt and hunt each opener but I ended up having to combine them. I went to MT before the opener and then went to WY after that and caught the middle of the hunt there. Got out to MT Thursday afternoon and scouted all day and found a really nice buck with a big curl right by the road. Got a couple pics of him which are below.

Screenshot_20171005-175343_resized.jpg
Screenshot_20171010-180705_resized.jpg

Here's some ding dong flying low over public land the night before the season opened. Maaaaaybe he was just some innocent local out for an evening cruise but he wasn't even 100 yards off the ground.

DSCN2536.jpg

Friday I put on a ton of miles looking over a lot of other country but didn't find anything much better so I went back to the area where I saw the buck Thursday but couldn't turn him up anywhere. Saturday was the opener so I was in position before the sun came up and wouldn't you know it, that buck was less than 100 yards from where I saw him Thursday, still all by himself. Did a quick stalk on him and had my tag filled before the sun came up!

Screenshot_20171008-212655_resized.jpg
DSCN2574.jpg

After that I headed to Wyoming and checked out just about all of the public land that was available. Found a good buck on private right beside some public but he never left that all day. The next day it rained a bunch and I couldn't turn him up anywhere. The 3rd day, he had crossed the road onto some public and I put on a stalk and was able to fill my 2nd tag.

DSCN2615.jpg

A couple other random pics. Oh and if you've never thought of eating it on a hunting trip, tacos in a bag are delicious!!!!

DSCN2624.jpg DSCN2633.jpg Screenshot_20171014-142158.jpg Screenshot_20171011-180413_resized.jpg

All in all it was an awesome trip! Antelope are just so much damn fun. I'm going back and forth on whether to just do a European mount on the buck with the curl on him or do a full shoulder mount. He's about 14 1/2 inches with really good mass and what I'll call a couple little "knob points" for some character. With how much he curls, he looks much shorter than he actually is.

I have quite a few shoulder mounts. None are trophys by trophy hunter standards or some silly numbers game. I can tell you ive never once looked at one and thought i wish i didnt mount it. Get the mount its all about bringing back memories

Looks like it was a great hunt, a few nice muley bucks too! Devils Tower is neat as well as the history, but watching the knuckleheads rappel off of the top is a treat. Something I'd never do and question those peoples sanity.

I have quite a few shoulder mounts. None are trophys by trophy hunter standards or some silly numbers game. I can tell you ive never once looked at one and thought i wish i didnt mount it. Get the mount its all about bringing back memories
Spot on!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back