A "Mature Deer"

pointingdogsrule

So I love those hunting show where the guy shoots an "monster" and then it turns out to be NOT so big. The narrative then changes to "it's a mature deer". Well, that's my story of this buck..... he's a "mature deer".

It's been warm here in Iowa. Temps in the high 60's most everyday. Little deer movement. That doesn't deter me as I love to sit in the tree anytime possible. Went out last night and hunted 75 yards into the woods. I usually hunt the edges and food sources. This guy came into view 10 minutes before shooting hours ended. 75 yards away in the woods. I looked and didn't think much of him in the low light. He made 2 scrapes and then continued on to the right at 50 yards. I looked and passed. He then disappeared behind some brush with leaves (late fall in Iowa and lots of leaves still on the trees). He re-appeared at 12 yards to my SURPRISE :) I looked and thought... "bigger then I thought" :) He sniffed the ground as I looked at him through my 3x scope setting and then lifted his head and did the "lip curl" as he scented the wind. What a cool image in my mind.... I'll never forget that image......... than "bang", 5 minutes before shooting hours ended. I watched him bound off after the smoke cleared.

I waited in the dark for 15 minutes and looked for blood. Absolutely NONE :( I backed out and went home and said some prayers for a good recovery in the morning. Today I found him no more then 60yards from where he was shot. I thought that I heard a crash last night, however, I didn't want to risk it. The reason for NO BLOOD... I it him in the left lung as he was quartering to me and it exited the right abdomen, which makes sense as I was 20+ feet above him at 12 yards. All the blood stayed in the abdominal cavity.

18 inch spread, 8 point, small tines, nice long and heavy main beams. Not the biggest deer that I have shot, however, "he was a mature deer".

PS: NEVER shoot a deer where you have to drag him 300 yards up a river valley hill (unless you have lots of friends) :)

Good luck to all
the dog

attachment.php

No hesitation here, he wouldn't of gotten that first pass! Nice buck, now you can relax for bird season! (mine starts monday!)

image.jpg

Soul feeding time in the woods sometimes produce food for the table. Congratulations

I again state my case for you to get with Gerald McCraney's agent to get work as a stand in or stunt double.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
Nice job, Marty I would take a "mature" buck like that any time.

Back