Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Rifle and caliber question

I've owned 2 .300 RUM and sold both. They use 50% more powder, kick harder and weighed more than my .300 saum. What they don't do is kill deader. Working on a .325 WSM right now. Have the action, replacing the stock and new glass. Then the fun of working up a load.

People think you need a big gun for moose, but from what I have read...you really don't. Sure there is probably no "harm" in using a big caliber, but despite their size, moose are somewhat easy to kill with proper shot placement and a good bullet of course. Hell in Europe they shoot moose with the 6.5 swede, granted the moose may be a bit smaller. I've heard tell of natives killing moose with an SKS.

Ah, the ol' caliber debate is alive and well.

To answer the OP - I'll throw my hat in for the .338 WM. If I was into being a serious long range shooter, then the Lapua makes sense. In hunting situations, the Lapua is just not needed and you'll be better served by having a wider variety of ammo to choose from (since you do not load). I'd choose a different rifle, but to each his own.

Thanks for the overbore chart NHY. Nice to see some of those big hammer cartridges on the list. I've always thought my .243 was "overbored" :)

You must be from the East then. Is Texas the East? mtmuley

..from Central Universe Mother Texas...speed, heavy bullets, and accuracy don't not make me happy.

OK, will confess to coveting a lone non magnum 25-06. My strongest weakness....that thing is just plain 'ol fun except for the critters on the muzzle end.

I've owned 2 .300 RUM and sold both. They use 50% more powder, kick harder and weighed more than my .300 saum. What they don't do is kill deader. Working on a .325 WSM right now. Have the action, replacing the stock and new glass. Then the fun of working up a load.

Good round...post up pics and poi's when finished.

The kimber 7mm I have has the ability to.have a muzzle break of not. It's the first and only rifle I have with a break. Are they that loud? Do people using breaks wear hearing protection while hunting or just at the range? I am from the east and I know my deer rifles would kill an elk or moose but I think the fact they are such big animals gives Mr an excuse to convince myself i need another gun... a bigger gun.

Yes they are loud.

An excuse for buying a new gun is always good. Take full advantage.

I will never again own a rifle or shotgun with any sort of brake or porting for hunting. At the range with hearing protection is fine, but not for hunting. I had a ported 3.5" 12ga one time and that thing would absolutely deafen you in the duck/goose blind.

Could i use the bream at the range and takenit off when in the field? A break won't effect accuracy will it?

My Kimber collection is all Montana's - 300WSM, 270WSM, 308, 7mm-08. How can you beat a Mountain Ascent in 7mm. Put a nice Leupold on it and save the money for another trip.

CTELK83, you sound like you want to buy a new rifle and a bigger rifle, that's reason enough if you ask me. Of the two you mentioned, and not reloading, I'd vote the 338 WM. I love shooting my 260s and yet the rifle that for me has killed the most game is my 300 RUM, nothing wrong with liking thumpers too.

I recommend adding the 340 Weatherby for consideration. I’ve used mine elk hunting for going on 20 years now. It has served me well on each and every hunt.

elkhunter, I hand load for my 325. I load a 200 grain nosler with 64.1 grains of H4831. I am getting good results at 300 yards.

I've never thought much about a 325 or a 340?
Maybe I should just jump to a 375! But I have no interest in bear hunting or hunting in Africa sooo shooting whitetails in N.Y. could get interesting haha

It probably goes without saying but the caliber is not nearly as important as shot placement. I get it, everyone says that "if" you get a bad shot that the larger mass and diameter can make up for it. I'm not here to argue that point or whet caliber is "best", the variables are far too many to ever whittle it down to even a couple. I just want to encourage the idea of knowing your weapon system(s) well enough that you are certain where that poi will be without a doubt.

To your initial question- " is there people or companies that you can buy reloaded ammo from at a discounted cost?" I can't speak to any individuals but as far as companies, Brian Litz's Applied Ballistic ammo is probably the best and most precise you can get......but it ain't cheap. It is loaded with Berger bullets, one of the finest projectiles you can send downrange.

The kimber 7mm I have has the ability to.have a muzzle break of not. It's the first and only rifle I have with a break. Are they that loud? Do people using breaks wear hearing protection while hunting or just at the range? I am from the east and I know my deer rifles would kill an elk or moose but I think the fact they are such big animals gives Mr an excuse to convince myself i need another gun... a bigger gun.

The only rifle I have with a Break is my Kimber .308. It came without the break and I sighted it in that way. All the reviews said the recoil would be "spirited" hahah. I have the Kimber Aderondak with a teeny vortex 3-9 so it barely weighs 5.5 pounds....it feels like a toy in your hand. That little thing had more recoil (considerably) then my .338 so I figured I would order the break. Once it came I threaded it on and took it out for 2 more rounds to see if it affected point of impact (it didn't at 100 yards). I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a percentage on it but I would say it lowered recoil CONSIDERABLY. I guess I figure all high powered rifles are loud....so does it make it louder? I suppose so but I don't really think... MAN THATS LOUD when shooting it? I use hearing protection obviously when shooting it and sighting in but not when hunting. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Sell the Lapua ..keep the 338 win.for big game and scope the 7 and don't look back!
Coming from a 4 Rum gun Hunter !!
Love the big boys !!! 300 rum ...338 rum ...375 next

Last edited:
I hate to Shang-hi the gist of your thread, but I'm going to back up N2TRKS. From 'Lopes on up, excluding BIG ASS/ BAD ASS bears, there is no reason for a Mag anything.

I hunted a decade with a 7RM & a 338 WM. Not any more. Sold most of 'em. A couple 7RM's left though. (up for sale to all comers)

I still have the same two calibers, but in a 7-08 & a 338 Fed, and at no time do I feel I'm under gunned.

The kimber 7mm is a limited edition banquet gun from rmef, so I kind of want to hang on to it... might just add a 338 wm to the collection for moose.

No rifle will be louder with a break than without...for the shooter...as long as it's designed properly.

Breaks seem louder to the people that stand next to a shooter that uses one because the sound waves from the gasses and the bullet's passage are directed toward the sides of the rifle. A break works by redirecting gas away from the muzzle and against the surface of the cuts on the break wall. Those gases push the rifle forward and they counter the gasses that escape from the muzzle. The angle of the cuts in the wall of the break will determine the angle of the sound waves that are created when the bullet passes the cuts. A break with flat cuts is going to be tough on the shooter because the sound will be directed toward the rear, a break with a slight angle will direct the sound away from the shooter. Cheap breaks have flat cuts, expensive one have angled cuts. Some breaks will have the angle on the rear faces only while others will have the angle on both the front and rear faces. If you fire a rifle with a break inside a room or any contained enclosure than you'll definitely suffer more from the sound because rather than sending all of the sound out of the muzzle and outside of the enclosure you're redirecting some of inside the enclosure.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back