Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

WY Unit 16

deer_shooter

Just got back from another fun trip to Wyoming. I was not sure how well I would get around this fall so instead of burning points I picked up a left over buck tag a couple doe tags each for the wife and I for Unit 16. The drive out was very uneventful and I had a campsite at the Buffalo KOA waiting. (The wife is happier with hot shower access!). Unlike other years, I saw a lot of other hunters this time. Our first day out we put in about 7 miles and saw 3 mule deer does . Next day we put in just over 10 miles and I worked my way in on a small group with three bucks in it only to find they were about 200 yards onto private. Day four I went out by myself and finally spotted 2 does in a small drainage. I was able to sneak within 200 yards and dropped one, The other ran across to the other side and stopped at 360yds and I was able to put a good shot on her too. I packed both up and hiked out for a total of 13 miles that day. We didn't get another opportunity while out so with just the 2 does in the freezer, this may be how we make that last:

IMG_1615.jpg

I hunted Unit 16 the first 4 days of season. I had no problem seeing a lot of critters each day. I put a lot of miles in, but well worth the effort. On X maps was invaluable. Didn't see many hunters close, but saw many along roads and within mile of road. My group of 4 was 100%. All buck, we didn't draw any doe tags.

Congrats! I'm currently staying in buffalo now, I'd be happy to find anything on public at this point

Over hunted, and insane amount of private roads. I only had a leftover doe tag, but I'll never hunt that unit or county again, for anything.

I've never seen so many out of staters for such marginal access.

Game and fish just needs to make 99% of the tags land owner tags.

Just got back from Buffalo yesterday, 2 left over doe tags filled , onxmaps worked great, and should have gotten a left over buck tag , had multiple chances to fill one
Oh well, tough area to walk
Casper is we’re we spent the last 18 years hunting deer and lope with excellent success
Thanks to Topgun 30-06 for all the help

I'd like to know how the ranchers in 16 get anything done when they drive back and forth on their roads every hour looking for that one NR that steps out of the ditch or drives past that cell tower. Then there's that guy across from the river, sitting in his truck that drives ahead of the herd if they start moving towards the state land, keeping them in his field so one doesn't get shot. Sits there all day long.

Game and fish just needs to make 99% of the tags land owner tags.

You obviously are a nonresident or a recent resident. If you are talking about allowing landowners to issue or decide who gets licenses, G&F proposed this as part of an access program 20 years ago and residents had a fit and said absolutely not.

Antelope Hunt Areas 23 and 24 have two types of licenses; one type is valid only on private land and the other type is valid on both private or pubic lands. Most of the licenses issued are the type valid only on private land. Something like that may work in Hunt Area 16, but HA 16 has more accessible public land than either Area 23 or 24; you just have to walk a ways into the pubic land.

ClearCreek

You obviously are a nonresident or a recent resident. If you are talking about allowing landowners to issue or decide who gets licenses, G&F proposed this as part of an access program 20 years ago and residents had a fit and said absolutely not.

Antelope Hunt Areas 23 and 24 have two types of licenses; one type is valid only on private land and the other type is valid on both private or pubic lands. Most of the licenses issued are the type valid only on private land. Something like that may work in Hunt Area 16, but HA 16 has more accessible public land than either Area 23 or 24; you just have to walk a ways into the pubic land.

ClearCreek

It was tongue and cheek. Pretty much seems like most land owners up there resent the presence of hunters (that aren't paying the outfitters leasing their land).

But hey take it literal, ya I'm going to the g&f meeting and proposing the idea..........good gawd. Let me guess, you have 16 county plates?

I'd like to know how the ranchers in 16 get anything done when they drive back and forth on their roads every hour looking for that one NR that steps out of the ditch or drives past that cell tower. Then there's that guy across from the river, sitting in his truck that drives ahead of the herd if they start moving towards the state land, keeping them in his field so one doesn't get shot. Sits there all day long.

No kidding. I saw a single herd of close to 60 antelope (counted at least 55, before they went over a ridge) on a certain piece of private land that is completely surrounded by BLM. Saw the outfitter truck driving around there a few times each day, keeping them on this private.

No kidding. I saw a single herd of close to 60 antelope (counted at least 55, before they went over a ridge) on a certain piece of private land that is completely surrounded by BLM. Saw the outfitter truck driving around there a few times each day, keeping them on this private.

Yep, me too. Incredibly frustrating.

It was tongue and cheek. Pretty much seems like most land owners up there resent the presence of hunters (that aren't paying the outfitters leasing their land).

But hey take it literal, ya I'm going to the g&f meeting and proposing the idea..........good gawd. Let me guess, you have 16 county plates?

JWP:

Hard to tell on these forums if you are serious or not. I am not sure what me having Johnson Co. licenses plates has to do with any of this. Nobody more than me would like to see better access for hunters to public lands.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back