Strategies for Elk

Hello everyone, just wondering what strategies do you use for elk hunting. Spot and Stock, waiting, and other strategies, which one do you use the most. Thank you guys!

I usually start by making a ground stand in a place where I've spotted elk earlier. If I haven't seen any elk by 10 AM then I'll either stay in the same spot until sunset (if I really believe that it's a good ambush site) or I'll start to still hunt toward where I know elk will bed during the day and the only way I know they are bedding in an area is that I've already spent days simply sitting on a slope spotting elk. Still hunting is sort of like spot and stalk except that you've already done the spotting at a different time and you're pretty sure that the elk are in the timber that you will be hunting. When you start the stalk you move so slowly that it's almost like standing still, hence the name - still hunting. The goal is to sneak in to the timber very carefully so that you can see bedded elk before they know that you are there, 100 yards in an hour or two is pretty much the speed I move at, sometimes even slower when you are in thick deadfalls and blowdowns.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back