Caribou Gear Tarp

High country elk

Ulmer338

What are the best tactics and hunting methods for hunting elk in the high country im new to this and any help and advice is appreciated Thanks!

There is no single best way to hunt elk, every place and situation will be different and the hunter will need to adapt but in general elk will usually be on grass up high during the night, slowly move down to water, and then move in to heavily forested bedding places during the morning where they will stay until just before sunset when they will move toward the high grass again. Most often they will stay within a half mile or so running water when they are bedded during the day but security will be their number one priority.

The best help I can offer is: don't be at the truck with 10 min of shooting time left. When you find elk sign stay there till dark. Walk out in the dark. Be back there the next morning in dark. Find a spot to glass if available. These elk been hunted for weeks now. The first and last minutes of the day are when you might spot them. So many elk hunters are scared of the dark. Griz country may be a different story though.

I have two rules:

1) get in shape so you can go where others are unwilling to go. That where the critters are when the pressure starts, and the elk know it before it happens
2) get in even better shape. Because when you do find one and if you are lucky enough to harvest one, getting there was the easy part. Now add hundreds of pounds coming out ( even a cow)

Last thing I can say, is don't put pressure on yourself or get discouraged. Your not gonna outsmart and elk in their back yard. Have fun, stay loose and usually it just happiness sometimes when your not ready. HAVE FUN!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back