Some Michigan UP grouse Habitat

huronmtns

I spent some time enjoying the day here in the UP of Michigan when the fall colors are near full peak. If your in the woods you might as well be carrying a shot gun, There is just something about Ruffed Grouse cover at this time of year.
DSC_0126_002.jpgDSC_0126_002.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I'm still looking for my first grouse here in PA. I might head out for a bit tomorrow. Like you said, if you're in the woods...you might as well carry a shotgun! I've got a new(to me) Ruger Red Label 28ga that needs to take a walk.

Funny you should mention the Red Label. I shot these with my 12 gauge Red Label. I all ways wanted to pick up a 28 gauge Red Label just for this purpose. I wish you luck and envy your choice of weapons.

Nice shot HM, thanks for sharing. Birds are a bit scarce and scattered this year.

Mark,

I must be lucky this year because I am flushing birds every trip into grouse cover. It's just too thick to get decent opportunity. That should change in a week or two when the leaves are down. Take a ride North I'll be in the Bay this weekend messing around in the woods my place or EK's.

Tastiest birds around. We don't have many around here. Shot one the other day on a field edge while checking beaver traps and shot one in the ditch after an unsuccessful morning of elk hunting

NICE!! I was in the UP for the opener, but being there for colors like that would be spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

The leaves have pretty much all dropped. There a few leaves left on the oak trees. I had a couple more birds cross paths with me as I have been scouting for deer season. I thought I would post another photo just because the markings on ruffed grouse never seem to be the same across individual birds.DSC_0109_004.jpg They will start using the habitat differently now that the leaves are down.

Mark,

I must be lucky this year because I am flushing birds every trip into grouse cover. It's just too thick to get decent opportunity. That should change in a week or two when the leaves are down. Take a ride North I'll be in the Bay this weekend messing around in the woods my place or EK's.

Still trying to make it to the Bay, been a little crazier than usual. Good luck on the 15th!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back