Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New 7mm-HT bandwagon jumper

MJE2083

Well we picked up a new 7mm-HT for the wife tonight, our first. She had been looking at rifles for a while now and finally settled on the X bolt Micro Midas. I'm looking forward to testing it out. I'm a bit concerned that the recoil will be too much for her, she has shot a .308 before and didn't like it, but she is just going to have to get used to it. Probably start out with some low recoil ammo.

Thanks guys, yeah I'm certainly leaning towards the 120gr bullets for her. She is going to hunt whitetails for the first time the season, but we may consider an elk hunt in the future. I'm hoping the fit will help, this is her first rifle that's not "full size". She really wanted the full sized xbolt at first because she liked the synthetic stock and the duratouch, but I was able to convince her that the fit was the most important factor and that the Micro would probably be best. She also tried out the new Savage and Weatherby women's rifles but didn't care for them much.

She may benefit from serious hearing protection, noise combines w recoil to punish shooters. If she is still bothered by recoil w light loads, hearing protection and premium recoil pad, the next step is muzzle brake or suppressor.

I got my wife a Weartherby 7mm-HT a few years ago in a youth model because she is tiny (5', <100lbs) and it is perfect for her. The recoil is minimal and she shoots it lights out with it. A rifle that really fits helps a lot in shooting comfort.

Although, she did shoot my .300 win this summer and said "I don't know why you didn't let me shoot that before, it isn't that bad" she is definitely tougher than me I think!

Be wary of remington reduced recoil. They use corloks but the bullet isn't traveking fast enough for descent expansion. Performance was like a roundball musket. Hornady or handloads with a nosler bt would be best for lower recoil.

Thanks fellas, I am going to use the Hornady lite ammo. I do reload, but I have enough going on right now(and enough other calibers haha) that I am just going to stick with factory ammo for the time being. Maybe this winter I'll try to work up some loads for her.

Just to warn you i tried the hornady reduced recoil amd had 2 that dented the primer but didnt fire. I sent them the rounds and they said the primer dent was within spec amd they should have fired. They sent another box and one of those also didnt fire. We switched companies and never had another issue. Honestly the 140 grain rounds didnt kick much more. Neither of my boys minded it at age 10. Also dont be suprised if you end up stealing her gun. I hunt just as much with my boys 7mm08 as anybigger gun i own. Its justa fun round to shoot.

Just to warn you i tried the hornady reduced recoil amd had 2 that dented the primer but didnt fire. I sent them the rounds and they said the primer dent was within spec amd they should have fired. They sent another box and one of those also didnt fire. We switched companies and never had another issue. Honestly the 140 grain rounds didnt kick much more. Neither of my boys minded it at age 10. Also dont be suprised if you end up stealing her gun. I hunt just as much with my boys 7mm08 as anybigger gun i own. Its justa fun round to shoot.

I'll keep an eye out for that, thanks. I'm already planning on stealing it. Probably get a full sized stock for it for myself :)

Try it with the small stock first. My kids actually fits me really nicely with heavy hunting coat on.

I've been loading up light loads for my kids to shoot out of my 7mm-08. 145 grain Speer Hot Cors at about 2400fps using H 4895. The recoil is very manageable even for my 8 year old. Ballistically, it's essentially a 30-30, but the better BC means that it will hold deer-killing power out to 200 yards and beyond. They're a ton of fun!

Back