.300 win mag bullet help

jones39

Went to the range this morning with my Howa hogue 1500 win mag shooting 180 grand n Barnes tsx and it sprayed them all over the target. What do you guys shoot in your Howa? I’ve always had good luck with the Barnes in my other rifles.

What do you mean by sprayed all over? Did you let barrel cool down after shots? Brand new barrel? Recently cleaned?

I shoot Accubond 180g made by Choice. Keyholes all the time.

Before this morning, the barrel had been broken in about a month ago per Howa's break in procedure. I shot 3 shot groups this morning and then let the gun cool before shooting another 3 shot group. There just seemed to be no consistency with what so ever. It would shoot one 3-4 inches high and then one of the next couple may be 3-4 inches low and also did the same with left and right. I've never owned a gun that did this so I'm searching for answers.

How consistent are the individual groups?

Standard things to check...rings, bases, stock/action screw, stock binding, is the scope junk, are you flinching

I would say the individual groups would fit in a 6 “ circle. Everything seems to be tight. I have a vortex viper 6-24-50 on it. I had it in the sled and don’t feel like flinching was an issue. It shot a whole lot better when I broke the barrel in with the Remington core lokt.

What do you mean by sprayed all over? Did you let barrel cool down after shots? Brand new barrel? Recently cleaned?

I shoot Accubond 180g made by Choice. Keyholes all the time.

Sounds like a crown issue.

Have you tried a 168 grain TTSX? If you look at stability calculators, 168 grain Barnes TTSX is a bit more stable in the 1:10 twist of the Howa. Also, if you like the performance of the Barnes it is worth trying some of the other options for non-lead, monolithic bullets. Nosler e-Tip, Hornady GMX, Norma Kalahari, Federal Trophy Copper, etc. I have a Howa 1500 30-06 that doesn't shoot the Barnes loads all that well but shoots the 180 grain Federal Trophy Copper well.

Before this morning, the barrel had been broken in about a month ago per Howa's break in procedure. I shot 3 shot groups this morning and then let the gun cool before shooting another 3 shot group. There just seemed to be no consistency with what so ever. It would shoot one 3-4 inches high and then one of the next couple may be 3-4 inches low and also did the same with left and right. I've never owned a gun that did this so I'm searching for answers.

Go back and try the core lokts again.

Wandering groups usually mean a problem with scope/mounts or a bullet too long to be stabilized by the twist rate.

I doubt the latter. If the core lokts group then you can rule out the scope/mount issue.

I would do as suggested and try the core lokts again. If they group well then maybe the gun just likes them better. Also in the Barnes the 168TTSX are a great choice.

Another recommendation. Try shooting some groups not in the lead sled. I'm not a fan of them at all. Seen them cause many problems with rifles and accuracy. I prefer a bipod and rear bag.

Have you tried a 168 grain TTSX? If you look at stability calculators, 168 grain Barnes TTSX is a bit more stable in the 1:10 twist of the Howa. Also, if you like the performance of the Barnes it is worth trying some of the other options for non-lead, monolithic bullets. Nosler e-Tip, Hornady GMX, Norma Kalahari, Federal Trophy Copper, etc. I have a Howa 1500 30-06 that doesn't shoot the Barnes loads all that well but shoots the 180 grain Federal Trophy Copper well.

Thanks a lot. I haven’t tried them in the .300 but shoot them out of my .308 that has the same twist and it absolutely loves them. I’ll try some.

Go back and try the core lokts again.

Wandering groups usually mean a problem with scope/mounts or a bullet too long to be stabilized by the twist rate.

I doubt the latter. If the core lokts group then you can rule out the scope/mount issue.

That’s in the plans for later this week.

I never was able to get my Browning 300 win to shoot worth a crap out of a lead sled. May not be your issue here but worth looking into.

I've never owned a 300 mag but loaded for a friend years ago. Seem's like these days the 180gr bullet is the go to bullet. Back then I always figured the 200gr bullet was the way to go. Better for long range and with a 200gr bullet it wouldn't tear up the bullet with velocity. But hit a deer up close and the damage will be fairly big!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back