Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

October/November layering system for elk hunting?

RidgeRebel

I am in need of an upgrade to my clothing for fall elk hunts. With any luck, I will be hunting elk mid October or early November in Wyoming next year and I really noticed all my current clothing either didn't keep me comfortable or are too bulky to do any serious hiking. So, I am looking at somewhere in the price range of low end Kuiu or similar clothing close that will keep me comfortable and mobile. I was hoping you guys could share your specific garments worn for this time of year? If BigFin happens to read this, I am really interested in you specific "elk suit" for Oct/Nov elk hunts? Thanks for your time fellas.

Bob

Merino base layers. Core4 softshell pants, jacket (Element). merino sox. Uninsulated boots w insulated pair in case. Gaiters. Midweight Core4 1/2 zip top. Midweight vest in the pack, puffy jacket in the pack. Fleece hood/balaclava in pack. Light gloves, insulated gloves in pack. Fleece ear band over ball cap. Core4 torrent rain jacket if rain is forecast, rare in CO after early Oct.

I always start with a really light merino long sleeve. No matter how cold it is, I will always get really hot. This year I used the Wilkin QZ from First Lite. Next I used the FL Chama Hoody, then the Sitka 90% jacket. Then the FL Uncompaghre puffy comes out for early and late glassing. Down low, I used the FL Red Desert Boxer brief, which are probably the best thing in the world. Then the Sitka Mountain Pant rounds it out. As far as accessories, I have a buff, light gloves and a heavier mitt in my pack most of the time.

For temperatures down to the 40s

On me -
synthetic undershorts and T shirt
5-11 Taclite Pro pants
Wool socks
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 boots
Sitka Lightweight Crew
Sitka Ascent gloves
Tilly hat

In my pack -

Sitka Dewpoint jacket and pants for rain and/or wind
Sitka Middleweight Crew
Sitka Traverse gloves

If the temperatures are less than 40 degrees then I'll add a set of merino wool long underwear and I'll replace my lighter weight stuff from above with the medium weight stuff in the above pack list and I'll also add an old Vietnam era military sleeping bag hood/balaclava and I'll put the following in the pack

Sitka Dewpoint jacket and pants for rain and/or wind
Sitka Cold Weather jacket
Sitka Stormfront gloves
Sitka Jetstream hat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back