Gear Pile for Elk (Epilogue)

noharleyyet

Departed last Thursday at 4:30 am central time determined to kick Mapquest's ass.... stopping in Childress, Tucumcari, and Chama....rolling into Pagosa Springs at 2:00 pm. 10.5 hrs drive time around 660 miles. Buoyed by coffee, John LeCarre, ribald humor from some of HT's more deviant members, and the pure joy of heading to the Rockies. Grabbed a quick elk burger at "The Buck Stops Here" bar, grill, and meat market, checked into the Econo Lodge, poured a clear plastic cup of Cabernet, threw the bedspread into the far corner, fell between the sheets, and watched bad TV listlessly, nodding off the first quarter of the Panthers-Eagles game.

Friday morning I checked in early with my outfitter and received directions to the cabin I'd be sharing with 2 other hunters from Michigan, the cook, and two guides. Keeping with my plan of going in on Friday early evening I hiked to the same area of the ranch that my son and I hunted last year to spend the night solo and be ready for Saturday's opener. Settled in around 3:30 with 15 head filing noiselessly into the meadow around 6:30 at 500 yards slowly feeding west until out of sight.

....daylight view looking North....

37513069520_2e03eda233.jpg

I have a good down Kelty bag..but I'll never learn....a damn yoga mat is not sufficient padding. After a sleepless night, finally giving up on lying down around 1:00 am, I hold the bag around my shoulders and nod til 5:00, by which time the adrenal gland has worked it's magic. By around 6 am, with enough ambient astral glow and much eyestrain I discovered the herd had moved all the way to my right and was now at 300 yards. There were a couple small figures bluff charging each other and generally showing off. 12 others I assumed to be cows and calves were feeding, and one big dark block was aloofly, with slow deliberation feeding 1/2 step out of the dark shadows of the oak brush. I'm praying for enough light to discern antler legality while watching what I'm guessing is the herd bull urging him to get careless when at 6:45'ish a distant shot sounds. They all raise their heads and saunter into the timber. I am not daunted coz, you see, I have them patterned and know they'll be back that afternoon....yea right. So I wait till noon hike out have some lunch, refresh, grab a few winks and head back out with the certitude that I'd be tagged out with that herd bull by dark Saturday evening, but also with intentions of spending another night if necessary...this time with a cheap wally world Coleman self inflatable bag pad. The Coleman pad did work better, but not much. No elk Saturday evening nor Sunday morning. I hike out, rinse repeat and realize a more proactive plan is needed.

Plan B Sunday evening....a raunchy hike to a secluded parachute meadow.

I'm with a whippet thin 32 year old houndsman...Mike. Fine young man, polite, soft spoken...more about him later. We are finally at the floor of this honey hole when we hear a cow say 'humans' and see 20 elk skylining the west rim...they bust us but exhibit no urgency....but they are damn sure gone. We settle into the West end of the meadow, fashion a keep and watch the sun go down. I look thru my scope and kill at least 50 imaginary bulls for 3 hours.

Looking East...this place reeked of musk. 260 yards to the far end, 40 yards across surrounded by a timbered ridge....hard to get in and out. Really a cool spot and I'm glad I went in.

Untitled by

We hike out...I'm beat.

Plan C Monday morning

.....to be cont'd

Monday morning...the plan is to hike in from the south and walk counterclockwise glassing back into meadows between timber topped fingers...there are many. Mike and I apogee the area and reach the last finger before calling it a bust....ascending the final ridge to view it's perimeter meadow. As we make the eastward turn he stops and peers toward a knoll that has essentially been our pivot. He asks if I would be willing to take a cow and I immediately affirmatively reply. There are two feeding in the oak brush nearly a half mile away near the top of the steep side of the knoll...due east of our position. We walk to within 600 yards and he asks if I can shoot that far. I say no...let's get closer. The problem is there's 30 doe in the meadow between our position and the cows. We cover 200 more yards at a snail's pace reconciling sparse pine trunk cover with muley doe alarm.

We finally get to the last two trees that will provide cover without panicking the deer. Now, the part I've failed to mention is Mike's eyesight. He saw those cow's rumps in oak brush from over 800 yards near the top of a 100 foot or so pine and brush wall in the shade. Then he took off his Raybans to verify and lifted his 15x50 Vortex's.... I'm still trying to locate them with Swarovisions. Finally I see what looks like two black eyed peas owl eyeing out of the thick oak brush. The TBR is 411 yards. One is quartering only sightly to it's left and I can get my 4x12 VXR's firedot on a line to rake into the vitals and hopefully disqualify it as a Texas heart shot. Dial to 4 on the CDS & take the shot...it did not feel good and I absolutely know i pulled it. They move but have no idea where I am. One stops 10 below skyline headed North (or left) and I shoot just over her. She doesn't move and I jack another round, take a breath, and put the dot just left of her torso moving it right slowly til I have the elevation I want...squeeze and she crumples. Never moved again.

It is now time to intro you guys to the hero of the story;

Meet Mr. Goodride

Untitled by

The cow is on the second steppe from the top of this West facing tall steep ridge. It's an easy walk up from the Northeast but a long pack out...and she is a good sized cow. We go for Goodride and the panniers.

Doesn't take all that long and we're saddled, panniered, and returned to the site. We get her broken down, game bagged and ready to load. Goodride did not like his nostrils coated with elk blood this fine morning and let us know about it. Mike actually told me, "Don't step behind him"....I had sorta figured that out on my own. The mule was just about to carry the dead tree off with his rope tether...but he settled when the hinds weight hit the panniers and we made it down in one load.

For you rifle and load junkies...used a 7 millimeter Masburn that Brockel built with a Lupe 4x12x40 firedot VXR CDS. 180 Scenar L at 3020 MV. The cow was broadside quartering away slightly. The bullet and front shoulder fragments took out her electrical wring and broke the neck at just over 400 yards Did not recover the bullet. Doubt I'll ever take anything else to the elk woods

I was as excited and grateful for this first cow as any of the bulls I've taken.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CrDS4U]
Untitled by

Let me take a moment to credit Jose's critter repose checklist...no tongue, no blood, bedded leg position. Due to only a 35 sleeve length, I'll take credit for the Jurassic inducing pov effects.

Outtakes;

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Yt5ih1]
Untitled by Ken Skipworth, on Flickr

The obligatory Pagosa Springs Mocha w/extra shot and Ciabatta toast supercharger to hit the road back to Mother Texas

Last edited:
bigwords.jpg

Outstanding!!! Way to go, Ken. Congrats!
I bet as handy as he was, ol' Mr. Goodride could never replace Ken Jr....

Felicitacious compliments on your cow. Superlative narrative and visual depictions!

Congrats! That will be some good eating. Mr. Goodride does not look happy with those ears pinned back.

I have hung around too many Mr Goodrides over the years, glad you got off the mountain without the rodeo effects.

PS: A toothbrush will get that red stuff out of the cuticles. Congratulations for getting to get them "decorated".

Congrats, we were just eating elk spaghetti tonight and my wife said how much elk is her favorite meat. I replied maybe I can find a late season cow tag somewhere... she didn't say no. That will be a lot of good eating there Ken, glad to hear the mashburn did well. I can't wait until the 28 nosler gets to go after elk, it did well on pronghorn but then any thing does just about. Once again thankful for the prose and pics. Congrats!!!!

I am still stuck on the yoga mat. Borrowed? :cool:

Nice elk - resplendently documented

Back