Caribou Gear Tarp

Book Suggestions Needed

Art Vandeley

I need to order up a few books here soon. Interested in American West and Montana history in general.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last Best Place: A beast of a book but it goes choronoloigcal through montana history and offers stories based on the period. it starts with native stories and then goes to Lewis and Clark and on from there. So worth the read.

Troubled Trip Through Paradise: Last Mountain man in Montana, settled in Alberton. Book is in 2 parts: his 1st year trapping and trading with indians and last half with his indian wife.

Midnight Forests: Story of Pinchot and TR making the National Forests before Congress froze them out.

Montana: High wide and Handsome: decent read about the state.

Ivan Doig: Anything

Thomas McGuane: The Longest Silence.

Hemmingway: Nick Adams Stories that many say are autobiogrpahical which Papa never confirmed or said.

Last Stand by Punke: review on here somewhere, Punkie is Missoulian and the book is great primer on Conservation and good read.

Anything by McCarthy.

The easy go to ones...
The Big Sky
Montana, High Wide and Handsome

In the Heart of the Bitterroot Mountains....Story of the Carlin Hunting Party

They Left Their Tracks...Outfitting in The Bob

The Immortal Irishman... Biography of Thomas Meagher

I’ll try to get some more when I get home on Sunday.

I need to order up a few books here soon. Interested in American West and Montana history in general.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Man, great suggestions so far. In a year or so when you’re through those above (particularly McCarthy, whose novels I just started blazing through this summer), I’d add:

• Any Jim Harrison (particularly the Legends of the Fall novellas, Wolf, and A Good Day to Die) - if you like to read about Montana and haven’t read Jimmy - ‘you’re doing it wrong’, as the kids say :)
  • Young Men and Fire - Norman Maclean: similar comment as above
  • American Serengeti - Dan Flores: just a ‘wow’ book about the history of large mammals on the Great Plains.
  • Fire Season - Philip Connors: little known book about a guy spending summers on a fire lookout in the Gila Wilderness

Ranch Life & Hunting Trail: Teddy Roosevelt (Teddy's Dakota ranching stint and hunts into MT

Cow Range & Hunting Trail: Malcolm McKay / illustrated By CM Russell / Details McKay's times putting the Lazy EL together in Roscoe.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I ordered a bunch of these and have been reading everyday. Good stuff.

Back