Daughter's Deer Hunt

Bwana

So five years ago when my youngest boy added his first buck to the wall in our front room along side of the buck taken two years ago by his older brother my wife said, "Enough." Boys' bucks.jpg She seemed to think my elk and two whitetail mounts along with the boys' deer was the limit for the front room but my 9-year-old daughter corrected her and said that SHE still gets to put one on the wall!

Fast forward to this year when my daughter became eligible for a buck tag after two years of taking whitetail doe. With this tag she is allowed to take buck or doe, whitetail or mule deer, as long as you are not in one of the specific mule deer buck management units located in the western portion of the state. Her answer to asking what she wanted to shoot was, any buck as long as it is big. Sure, no problem. :rolleyes:

Though we were not able to make it out until late afternoon on the third day of the season due to band and high school trap-shooting obligations, things worked out just fine.

Due to an almost-never-happens-around-here south wind we had to make some adjustments to our game plan so ended up watching our area of interest from a different vantage point then we intended to.IMG_6340.jpg

Wanting to see into a larger area, we moved over to another drainage and immediately noticed a small group of deer feeding on the opposite side of the river. Not able to see anything with headgear we kept glassing the surrounding areas while still keeping an eye on the original group. After a few minutes I noticed another deer joining the group and a quick look through the binoculars confirmed that it was a VERY nice buck!

A plan was hatched, a stalk executed, and a single shot from her mom's trusty 7mm-08 did the trick.
IMG_6383.jpg
IMG_6371.jpg
IMG_6385.jpg

Looks like there will be another addition to our front room. ;)

WOW! Congrats to little sis on a giant buck! Congrats to dad on a giant smile!
What an awesome front room filled with family memories!
Well done.

That is a heck of a nice old buck! Love the character, and can almost smell the willow rubbed on those antlers. Ones like that haunt my dreams.

Congrats to the young hunter!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back