Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Youth Elk Hunting Options

cleinen

What state is best for acquiring a youth tag for cow or either sex? Main 2 factors being cost and success rates. I took my 12 year old son with this year on a hunt and he had a spike tag but it is very low success rate tag and he never got an opportunity so would like to find a state with better odds for him next year.

New Mexico has a great youth hunting program. Probably the best part of New Mexico hunting. Many species available. Well worth checking out. I have very little to no knowledge of other states. I cannot say New Mexico is best, but is worth a look.

I have been applying for a youth tag for 2 years in Colorado and I got a tag every year. If you want take a look at Colorado.

Utah spike hunt is good. But you wont know if the hunt is commissioned until Feb the year of the hunt.
Idaho is cheap and plentiful on game - but tough for a do it yourself. Outfitters are reasonable for youth hunts usually.
MT has a good youth deal for Nonresident combo tag - guaranteed if the immediate family member has a tag.

Utah has a Youth Only elk limited entry tag where the youth get to hunt during the rut with a rifle in the general season areas.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will look into it. We hunted Utah this year. I had a LE tag and he had a spike. I got my bull but he never got a chance at a spike. I plan on putting him in for the youth tag in Utah. I think the odds are about 1:4 for a NR youth. I did grab us both a point in WY this year. He did really well in the field this year so would like to get him an opportunity next year if possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back