Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2017 Western States Conservation Scorecard

Colorado gets fairly good marks. STL and stream access are our poor points. I'm surprised no group has challenged our stream access laws to date. Based on outcomes in other states, it seems like a worthwhile fight.

Colorado gets fairly good marks. STL and stream access are our poor points. I'm surprised no group has challenged our stream access laws to date. Based on outcomes in other states, it seems like a worthwhile fight.

I cant get over our piss poor STL access, especially since the state proclaims and celebrates "public lands day". Millions of acres of land off limits. :mad:

So I don't really follow this issue as closely as I should, but how does the STL program work? Who leases the majority of the land? I know on my onxmaps that they do a pretty good job of differentiating between what STL and are/are not open for access.

So I don't really follow this issue as closely as I should, but how does the STL program work? Who leases the majority of the land? I know on my onxmaps that they do a pretty good job of differentiating between what STL and are/are not open for access.

_Nobody_ leases the majority of them, for recreation. There is a ridiculous minimum $$ amount that nobody in their right mind would pay for access to some of these pieces. In my opinion, if nobody is willing to pay to lease a piece, it should be defacto _open_ to the public, rather than _closed_.

This is funny...

Arizona’s access is even more restrictive. The Arizona Navigable Stream Adjudication Commission (ANSAC), has the power to decide which of Arizona’s waterways are navigable, allowing for more public access. To date, only the Colorado River has received such distinction. Outside of the Colorado River, boaters may only float above federally-owned streambeds.

As the Germans POW's found out when they escaped from Papago prison camp, there are very few floatable rivers in AZ.

This is very interesting. A bit tainted though considering the amount of energy that comes out of Wyoming dwarfs the other states and the amazing opportunities for recreation that are present in Wyoming, the balance that has been reached is quite good. There should also be a section on quality of outdoor experience or ability to find solitude as high population areas can inhibit that even though the outdoors are nearby. Conservation isn't only about responsible energy production but also putting up houses and cities that directly remove outdoor recreation areas that never get reclaimed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back