Tips for a Newbie Elk Hunter

rmconley

Hi All -

Heading out to CO for my first elk hunt next week. We should be getting to CO late Tuesday night and hunting thru the weekend. It'll be a buddy and me, just taking in the adventure of a western DIY hunt. Any tips or suggestions for a first timer that you guys are willing to share? We're planning to hunt 33, 24, 25 or maybe stay a little farther north near the Craig area. We are coming prepared for pretty much anything from truck camping, to a main base camp, to a backpack camp. We are bringing ATV's as well, whether we'll use them or not we're unsure. But since we don't have any experience, we thought we'd come loaded for bear.

Really looking forward to it, and I'm enjoying reading the info you guys are sharing, really helps a rookie feel mentally prepared.

Welcome aboard, Have a safe trip and good luck. Tip= glass till you are tired then glass some more.

Don't Give Up.

Know when to make a move to a new area.

Afternoon naps on the mountainside are to be treasured.

The first elk is the hardest.

Good gear will help you hunt longer, not better.

Pick up a legal souvenir from the field to remember the hunt.

What all these guys said. Just don’t give up. Remember it’s abouy the adventure not the kill. I look at it as if I get something to put in the freezer it’s an added bonuses. The wilds of CO are amazing in themselves. Good luck hope you fill a tag.

Addressing the naps on the mountain.

My brother in law had a bow hunt in the Gila. His partner tagged 1st morning and the crew took 8 hours to finish transporting the dressed elk back to camp. Brother in law saw an elk at sunset over a waterhole and sundown. His words. I am not working all night breaking down an elk ( he said it was large).

Next day, went back to the same water hole. Laid down on the mountain side and took a nap. Woke up and shot a 4 x 5. First elk hunt and first archery hunt.

He thinks this stuff is easy. Very lucky! He was hunting with clients from work. I think he was probably hunting a private ranch in the Gila (paradise).

He is happy!

Some one already mentioned it here, but I feel its the most important.

#1 NEVER give up ever.
Hunt however many days you can. It will be a challenge but you will treasure it after your back at work.

Great info, guys. Appreciate it. I'm so excited I can't sleep, so I'm guessing those naps will be occurring often. Good luck to all of you this fall as well.

All of the above is great. I hunted with some new guys this past 1st rifle season in CO and learned a lot, even being the "veteran" hunter of the group. Definitely be prepared to glass a lot. Get to a high spot and stay there and make sure you have looked everything over very well before moving on. On that note, don't entrench yourself in a single area. We put a lot of time the first few days into one side of the unit and called an audible after day 3 and ended up getting an elk on day 4 in a totally different part of the unit. Like others have said, DO NOT give up!! This really can't be stressed enough. Its easy to want to bail early if things are slow or not get out of bed early. When things are slow, take a step back and realize that you are lucky to be where you are and doing what you're doing. I got pretty down after some failed stalks and private land getting in the way, but we pushed through and put some meat in the freezer. It still amazes me how you can go from such lows to such highs and vice versa so quickly. Enjoy the hunt!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back