Default blackthorn 209 help

either i am completely over thinking how to properly measure BH209 or I just have no clue. All the powder measurers i have seen available measure by grains. My fiance just got me my dream prohunter and i am really fearful of ruining it. please help!

volume measurement is fine...personally I'd stay away from max loads. You could pre-weigh charges at home on a reloading scale and use Blackhorn's recommendations

Just use a regular black powder volume measure. Blackhorn does not recommend more than 120gr by volume. Accuracy sweet spot for most is 100-110gr by volume.

I go by volume, I shot 120grs last year but have backed off to 110 for this season with no noticeable loss in accuracy. I doubt I could go back to shooting pyrodex after BH209. It's just so much easier to clean.

By volume.Mine likes 100 the best.

Where legal my load is 110 grains of Blackhorn and the 250grain SST w/ Harvester sabot (black)...it'll shoot 1" groups all day long. In weapons restricted areas I'm using 100grains with 295 powerbelts which I find accurate but not my preferred.

Whatever you choose for a load use the hottest 209 primer you can like Federal 209 Magnum and stay away from "muzzleloader 209" primers as they are much too cold to get consistent ignition.

I feel a little bad, now after reading how simple it is. I plan on trying both blackthorn and IMR white hotz. Hopefully something either will show me some consistent groups.

Volume
    DISCLAIMER: Many of my posts are made via phone, aurocorrect and tiny keyboards are my enemy....
    http://www.predatoroptics.com/
    http://theronoptics.com

Don't feel bad...better safe than sorry! I started shooting blackhorn and inlines a couple years ago after 20+ years of strictly only black powder in traditional muzzleloaders and I had to research the same thing. For ease you may find IMR white hots better but I feel like Blackhorn is a bit cleaner and offers ability to adjust your loads much easier.

I have always shot Triple 7 pellets until going on a hunt in Hawaii and knowing Blackhorn was the only thing I was going to be able to acquire there. Not only did it shoot well out of my rifle it was even cleaner than expected. I was able to shoot ten loads in a row with out any cleaning and there was no noticeable change in impact or difficulty loading. Shooting more than two rounds with Triple 7 would have required cleaning. I have a few pellets of Triple 7 and a pound of loose Triple 7 that I wont be needing now that I have switched to 209.

I measure by volume out of a powder measure. I do have some of the small pre-loadable BH209 tubes with measurements on the side, but I have found that they do not seem as accurate. They work great for fast reloads, but I do not trust the markings on the side.

11. Default

For best accuracy better than minutes of deer. I volume measure 5 times each one I actually weigh and see what it is then take the average of the five. I do this with each new pound of BH209. My gun cuts holes at 100 yards doing this . 110 grains by volume is usually at that 76 grains weighed. I put each eighed charge into a vial. Started doing this a long time ago.

Here's my setup, some cheap tubes I got on ebay, color coded for powder or bullets+cap, all stuck into an MTM shotgun case.

Each charge is weighed on a cheap digital reloading scale.
    Name:  IMG_20171129_212036655.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  40.9 KB