Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

A SGT, a SFC, a MSG and CPO head to the Flat Tops!!

SFC B

This is going to be a bit of a protracted "live" hunt but thought this was the most appropriate place to post it. Currently I am sitting here at my desk in a glorious HR office. I am so excited I can't keep my leg from shaking constantly and have very little to do to keep my mind off the next week plus of mountain time. The last 2 years have been rough for me hunting wise. Last year I had just started a new job and was only able to get 3 days hunting in. It was very warm and not a lot of action to be found on the mountain. Year before that I was still at the tail end of the medical retirement process and couldn't go at all (the year everyone in camp tagged out on the first day , of course). So, this year I was able to swing leave from tonight through all of next week as well. Best case scenario I come home with multiple animals...worst case is I spend a full week in the back country!!
I will get off work today, head home and pack up the Jeep. Following kisses for mama and the Hunting Princess I will head up to Wellington to the CPOs house for the evening. We will finish packing out the truck and trailer with what I bring, have a couple of cold ones and then settle in for some fitful sleep in anticipation of the zero-dark-thirty wake up. Our trip will take us up through Wyoming and then back down through Walden and Toponas on our way to camp. Once we leave town I won't be able to post until we return.
From the title you can see we are a military rich camp. Besides me the others are as follows SGT(Aaron, former 11B/Ranger), MSG (Bob, retired Army motor sergeant and CPO's dad) and CPO (John, retired Navy maintenance Chief and the guy who probably saved me from some bad stuff by inviting to his camp 5 years ago). In addition, this year's camp gets a little something extra as CPO is bringing his young'un, the LGC (Lil Ginger Cajun) for the first time. We all share a bunch of common experiences through service and deployments that make camp a very easy place to be. This year's tags look like this; Me-bull, buck and bear tag (playing the odds SOMETHING will step out ), SGT- bull tag, MSG- bull tag, CPO-buck tag. Hopefully by the end of the week the meat pole will have a sag to it ;)
I'll drop some pics tonight of the pack up!! Wish us luck and I am doing the same for all those getting out this weekend!!

Sounds like a great time, best of luck to you all!

Don't let the stories flow to much, or the barley pops will take over and you'll be a bit dehydrated...

Here ya go....SGT-Army for Sergeant/E5....SFC- Army for Sergeant First Class/E7.......MSG- Army for Master Sergeant/E8....and CPO- Navy for Chief Petty Officer /E7 Hope that helps :)
For an uneducated. Explain the initials. I can guess, but am clueless. I assume military.

So how are you hunting the flat tops?You guys packing camp back in or having a nice wall tent or trailer near a trailhead?What's the snow like up there?
Best of luck.I had an awesome trip/elk hunt in Colorado this year

We take a jeep trail (4WD lo and chains no matter what) up about 2.5-3 miles from the last dirt road and camp right on the edge of the wilderness (literally our trucks will be about 50 feet from the boundary). Our current tent set up is half of a GP medium that was cut down and re-sewed and a GI pot belly stove. I think we will be up grading to a Davis at the Show this year ;) From there we hunt anywhere from a mile to 3 or 4 into the wilderness. I know they have had several snows already but can't get a good call on the area of camp (9,600') yet. Looks like snow is possible for the opener though and that has me really excited after last years 60+ temps.
So how are you hunting the flat tops?You guys packing camp back in or having a nice wall tent or trailer near a trailhead?What's the snow like up there?
Best of luck.I had an awesome trip/elk hunt in Colorado this year

Talk about a motley crew of guys. Haha. Nothing brings people together quite like hunting. Give 'er hell guys. Good luck!

Yep, and we would talk mad shiz about CPO except he is the only one with a Purple Heart.....how does that even happen ? I keep telling him he should have stayed on the stupid boat :)
Talk about a motley crew of guys. Haha. Nothing brings people together quite like hunting. Give 'er hell guys. Good luck!

Best of luck to you guys on your hunt! Definitely look forward to following this one. :D
We certainly know that you guys can shoot!

In Wellington now. Finished packing and heading out in the early morning. Here are a couple pics from my pre Hunt stop at McDs before I transferred my stuff to the truck and trailer.

Attachments

• 20171017_203847.jpg
    20171017_203847.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 459
  • 20171017_202514.jpg
    20171017_202514.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 20171017_202501.jpg
    20171017_202501.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 438
This will be good to follow! Look forward to your updates! Knock 'em down!

Good luck with everything, hope you guys fill your tags. Past few times I've went through Walden this fall I've ran into elk, so lets take that as a good omen!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back