Late season hunting boots

Hoolee99

I am looking for recommendations on a pair of boots that work for cold, possible snow, and plenty of hiking mountains. I know million dollar question. I have a pair of white elk hunter packs good boot but heavy.

For late season elk hunting ... cold and possible snow ... Schnee's Hunter II. I recommend the 13". I have used them to cross small streams/rivers and in the mud. I like the tread pattern of these boots. Never had a blister in these boots. Though they may be a bit heavy .... you get use to it and it does not become an issue. Worth the money. After several years the rubber bottoms wore out and I sent the boots in and got pretty much a new pair for around $125 (including shipping). Schnee's has great customer service, if there are any issues.

http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES-Hunter-II-pac-boots/Schnees-Pac-Boots

Last edited:
For late season elk hunting ... cold and possible snow ... Schnee's Hunter II. I recommend the 13". I have used them to cross small streams/rivers and in the mud. I like the tread pattern of these boots. Never had a blister in these boots. Though they may be a bit heavy .... you get use to it and it does not become an issue. Worth the money. After several years the rubber bottoms wore out and I sent the boots in and got pretty much a new pair for around $125 (including shipping). Schnee's has great customer service, if there are any issues.

http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES-Hunter-II-pac-boots/Schnees-Pac-Boots

What he said too! Schnee's Hunter II boots in 13" height. I like the heck out of those things. Get some of these for those wet snowy conditions and you can thank me later as well!!

https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

Kenetrek !

Kenetreks get a lot of love on this site, but I highly recommend not buying them without trying them and spending some time wearing them in the store. I have a pair that I have owned for years and have hated every mile. It sounds like many have had better luck than me, but I know I am not alone.

I have a pair of Merrells that I love and always pick over my Kenetreks. If you are planning on snow, I also recommend a good set of gaiters. I have also have the Kenetrek gaiters and they do the job. I would like to try a pair of Kuiu or First Lite Gaiters to see if they breath a little better.

After watching enough shows and listening to enough podcasts I now use gaiters and walking poles.

How warm are the Hunter II's? Like ice fishing in single digits warm? Or, still hunting in single digits and you'll be ok warm? They look plenty stout but 400grams of thinsulate doesn't seem like that much.

I kind of depends on the individual, meaning some folks have varying thresholds. I forget the temperature range (check website), but I personally can hunt in very cold temperatures (below zero), as long as I'm moving around a little. A few years ago, I hunted in -25 degree weather and my feet did not get cold.

My feet will sweat some, but at night you can remove the wool inserts and (since there wool) they will be dry by morning. Keep in mind they are wool inserts and you can also wear wool socks.

I have a brand new pair of Schnee's Hunter II that I picked up in Bozeman a couple weeks ago. They're soooo comfortable. I can't wait to try them out hunting pheasants in North Dakota in a few weeks.

How warm are the Hunter II's? Like ice fishing in single digits warm? Or, still hunting in single digits and you'll be ok warm? They look plenty stout but 400grams of thinsulate doesn't seem like that much.

I am a cold blooded lizard. My previous cold weather boots were the cables 1200 gram thinsulate pac boots. My feet were always cold, I routinely had to resort to Little Hottie foot warmers. I picked up a pair of Schnees Hunter II on ebay for $150, they keep my feet WAY warmer than any other boot I've had. I still think if I was just standing around in really cold temps I would get cold, but don't judge them by that 400 gram value.

I get cold feet/hands. Wore my Sorrel packs I got the day Nixon resigned in a Butte Woolworths til the soles are slick & still have them...lol.
Had been wearing 200 grm Meindels for hunting,but would get cold sitting.
15 yrs ago got some Kenetrek Grizzly packs on sale w/extra liners, when I was about to get Schnees. At 400 grms they are light & warm,excellent in the mountains on most terrain. Have not been cold in them except when it gets below zero & I'm not moving much. I wear them all winter now as daily ranch/work boot too.
2 yrs ago I got Lowa Tibet 400 insulated boots for hunting & hiking. The best boots I have worn.
More comfortable than my Danner work boots that fit like gloves & I worked in for 20 yrs. Not hot in hot weather with light socks. Very warm & comfy in the cold.
The Lowas are my wear when you have to get there & back boots.

The Schnee's boots have more than the 400 grams of Thinsulate, There's also a layer of wool felt in there that's not included in the 400 grams.

I had a pair of Columbia omni heat 13 inch boots that were warm, like really warm. I think they had 600 gram insulation, the only drawback was the were only good for about 100 miles before they worn down. Im wearing Danners now saving for the Schnees

Another boot to look at would the insulated version of the White's Outdoorsman with the Montana Claw sole. I have the uninsulated version and hunting here in snow and 10-30 degree weather my feet have stayed very warm and comfortable. I just purchased these and have been really impressed with them. I can imagine that the insulated version is quite a bit warmer.

As I stated previously too, the Schnee's Hunter II is an awesome and comfortable boot for cold weather and snow.

I used every pair of boots I had and even tried a thing I read on another forum. I cut insoles out of a window shade that goes in the car window and that really helped my whites pacs, When I was hiking they damn near burned my feet off but are heavy and if you stopped and ended up riding 4 wheeler they got a little cold. I used some old cabelas boots with the same result with the homemade insoles but they were very slick in the snow going down hills especially. It was a real good learning experience this year from a gear standpoint for sure.

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme or Schnees Granite VI, both are a fantastic boot so see which fit you better. Be sure to get quality socks too, smart wool makes different thickness of sock and their mountaineering sock, while thick, is GD warm and toasty!! Great combo of high quality wool socks and above mountain boot should work for you.

I'm pretty sold on Schnees Pac-boots. I have one pair of 10" that I purchased for my first elk hunt in 2001, they have mostly been worn for 2-4 months each winter and have about 7-8 seasons total on them. I purchased a pair of 13" pac-boots in 2005 and they have been steady used for late season hunting and cat hunting from November through mud season in March/April. They can be easily patched with roof silicon to stop minor leaks before they are repaired. I think this next spring I will mail both of them in for rubber bottom repairs. I don't know what the price is for the pac-boots, but they are worth the money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back