Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Swinging H Block Management Area

mtcurman

Hey guys, as some of you probably know, the non leased portion of Swinging H has been closed due to the drought and fire conditions. The place will be opened for rifle season, however, the landowner is wanting hunters to police each other if at all possible. They have had a few different parties of guys this year ride rough shod through their place(even while it was closed)on four wheelers while it was muddy, just tearing the tar out of everything. If you are hunting along 79 Trail or Dunn Ridge and see guys violating the rules of the BMA in any way, if at all possible, tell the landowner or me if I'm around or even a warden. Let them know not all the hunters using their property are inconsiderate dicks. They are about one more set of tracks or one more pile of uncovered crap and toilet paper away from pulling out of block management. I have guys tell me pretty frequently they don't care how the landowner feels about things like that because they get a check from the state. Well they do get a check from the state but they could get a much bigger check from any number of guys wanting to lease their property, and that wouldn't be good for most of us. It is one of the best BMA's and it would be a shame to lose it. So if you get a chance, thank the landowner for being in the program, and if you can't do that, at very least be respectful of their land. They are good folks but they get sick of a few knuckleheads messing things up and that goes bad for the rest of us. I'm just trying to say, unless they see that there are still hunters who are vigilant and ready to let them know of guys who are abusing their privleges, there is a very good chance there will not be any Swinging H land in Block Management next year.

Ben

Good post Ben. We did bma work last week for a ranch and the headache they have with a few knuckleheads as you put it really makes u wonder what some people are thinking. See you later this week.

Thanks for the heads up, Ben. It is much appreciated. That would be a shame and reflect badly on all of us. I heard of another large BMA in eastern Montana that is questioning their enrollment, because of the same issue you mention.

Hunter and I will be up in that area Opening Day through Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully, our paths will cross.

I will be out in that country in the middle of November and camping off Dunn Ridge, hunting elk and deer and this is one of my favorites BMA to hunt. My group will defiantly be keeping a watchful eye and report any violations we see as I would hate to lose this great piece of hunting ground.

How would we thank them for enrolling this land in BMA? can we just stop by the ranch house?

UPDATE: Swinging H may not be open opening weekend. If the sign in boxes aren't up, they aren't open yet.

And I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing you fellers this season.. good luck!

Ben

You!re provided a map and sheet explaining what the area is and what you can and can't do and still some people can't figure it out. Watched some guys hunting sharptail with dogs 3 weeks ago east of a north south fence right adjacent to the sign in box, thought they may have had permission from the landowner as the block management area was only west of this fence, however ran into the landowner a week ago and mentioned this to him and he assured me that was not the case, they just were idiots or just didn't give a shit. He said it's pretty sad with almost everyone with a gps nowadays or at least a damn paper map they still can't figure it out. Yes, the world does have some very inconsiderate stupid people in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back