A good day out....

windymtnman

Rode my mountain horse into a remote drainage that's hard to access for most casual walk in hunters. I stopped at an Outfitter Drop Camp, and visited with the 3 guys that booked a hunt there. One of them got a big 6pt. yesterday. All 3 of them saw a massive herd of Elk, estimated to be around 90 head leave the drainage they were in, and go over the mountain into the next drainage. Where I took this selfie, is where that Elk ran to my location and then up behind me. The hunters were seeing and hearing lots of Bulls too.
It sure was a beautiful October day to be out. This pic is around 12,000 ft. elevation. The 3 mountain summits that are all around me are 13,000ft, and then some. My season starts this Saturday. Can't make up my mind whether I want to pack in this area with the horses/mule, or just hunt from home??? Decisions, decisions....

Attachments

• DSCN0177.jpg
    DSCN0177.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 799
What a beautiful day! Wonderful picture. What if you stay at home till after the snow on Saturday? Best of luck hunting!

Well, unless the weather totally goes bad on me, I made most of my preparations for a pack in camp today. In that this is pretty high altitude, (12,000 ft), I figure it might get chilly at night, and the nights are long this time of year, however I feel if I'm not exactly where I want to be at shooting light, I'll regret it! So, we'll see how this goes....

Good luck. Looking at that picture you are in for a great hunt, whether you see elk or not.

Gorgeous! If it were me, I would be heading back out on another scenic ride to find that herd.

I have been looking at buying a small piece of property around your neck of the woods, and would love to pick your brain about it some time. Good luck on your hunt!!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back