Yeti GOBOX Collection

A good day out....

windymtnman

Rode my mountain horse into a remote drainage that's hard to access for most casual walk in hunters. I stopped at an Outfitter Drop Camp, and visited with the 3 guys that booked a hunt there. One of them got a big 6pt. yesterday. All 3 of them saw a massive herd of Elk, estimated to be around 90 head leave the drainage they were in, and go over the mountain into the next drainage. Where I took this selfie, is where that Elk ran to my location and then up behind me. The hunters were seeing and hearing lots of Bulls too.
It sure was a beautiful October day to be out. This pic is around 12,000 ft. elevation. The 3 mountain summits that are all around me are 13,000ft, and then some. My season starts this Saturday. Can't make up my mind whether I want to pack in this area with the horses/mule, or just hunt from home??? Decisions, decisions....

Attachments

• DSCN0177.jpg
    DSCN0177.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 799
What a beautiful day! Wonderful picture. What if you stay at home till after the snow on Saturday? Best of luck hunting!

Well, unless the weather totally goes bad on me, I made most of my preparations for a pack in camp today. In that this is pretty high altitude, (12,000 ft), I figure it might get chilly at night, and the nights are long this time of year, however I feel if I'm not exactly where I want to be at shooting light, I'll regret it! So, we'll see how this goes....

Good luck. Looking at that picture you are in for a great hunt, whether you see elk or not.

Gorgeous! If it were me, I would be heading back out on another scenic ride to find that herd.

I have been looking at buying a small piece of property around your neck of the woods, and would love to pick your brain about it some time. Good luck on your hunt!!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back