Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Spotting Scope Application Question

CiK

This question might be better suited elsewhere on the forum, but since I am gearing up for a spot and stalk spring bear hunt I will just ask it here.

First, the backstory. Last year while elk hunting, I decided not to buy or take a spotter. Instead I just used my 10x42 binos and I found I could find elk really well using just the binos in that 0-2 miles out range. What I couldn't do well though, was to use just the binos to follow the elk into the timber in hopes of watching them bed. The 10x42's just didn't have the oomph I needed to see into the gaps in the timber very well.

Reading all I can read about spring bear hunts, targeting closed roads and glassing greening meadows are some primary tactics. I could use my binos again, but I would love to be able to penetrate the timber a bit more in hopes of seeing bears not yet in the meadows.

I am guessing bigger is better, but can a smaller spotter get that job done for me at the 0-2 mile range?

Thanks for the help.

Are you trying to save weight? Or cut cost? The rule stated ad nasuem is get the best you can afford. and its true. I don't see much of a weight difference in this class of optic, within 10 oz or so. I use a 20-60x and find it more than meets what I need it to do, escpecially in the range you are stating. I might suggest a larger objective lens if you are trying to get into some darker areas.

Are you trying to save weight? Or cut cost? The rule stated ad nasuem is get the best you can afford. and its true. I don't see much of a weight difference in this class of optic, within 10 oz or so. I use a 20-60x and find it more than meets what I need it to do, escpecially in the range you are stating. I might suggest a larger objective lens if you are trying to get into some darker areas.

No desires to save weight or cut cost. I just want the best tool for the task. Your sentence about a larger objective lens speaks volumes to me. I often associate larger objective lens' to early morning or late evening benefits.....not peering into dark timber.

The larger objective lens transmits more light to your eye,while the magnification is what helps see into timber. There is a trade off, however, as the higher magnification you use, the less light is transmitted. Also higher mags tend to show more mirage. That being said, I carry a 20-60x65.

I have the Razor 65mm and it works just fine. I wouldnt want to pack the bigger one but maybe thats just me. I do have an interest in the mini spotters tho. I guess Id rather make it easier on myself to get closer than be able to see them from further away. I havent compared them side by side but will do that this weekend as my buddy has the 50mm.

The larger objective lens transmits more light to your eye,while the magnification is what helps see into timber. There is a trade off, however, as the higher magnification you use, the less light is transmitted. Also higher mags tend to show more mirage. That being said, I carry a 20-60x65.

This has helped immensely. Thank you! Objective helps at low light and magnification gets you further into the timber to keep track of them, in my scenario, as they move from meadow to bedding area.

Now I just need to figure out what magnification spotter I want.

Also consider getting a phone skope. They are pricey, but you can take a pic and then zoom in. That is very helpful.

As it specifically relates to spring bear. I have never needed a spotter to find a bear. I do that primarily with just binos, or binos on a tripod. The spotter comes into play for me when I am trying to decide if it is a bear that I am going to go after. My experience has always been that spring bear is an afternoon evening event and you aren't goign to be trying to track them back to their bed, you are ussually trying to stalk them while they are stuffing their face out in the open.

As it specifically relates to spring bear. I have never needed a spotter to find a bear. I do that primarily with just binos, or binos on a tripod. The spotter comes into play for me when I am trying to decide if it is a bear that I am going to go after. My experience has always been that spring bear is an afternoon evening event and you aren't goign to be trying to track them back to their bed, you are ussually trying to stalk them while they are stuffing their face out in the open.

Good to know. Thank you for that perspective. Helpful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back