Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Moose question for the ‘experts’

Montanaborn

So after I shot my Shiras Moose idnative1948 and I were talking to a cousin that had gotten her moose a couple of years ago in the same area. She mentioned that her bull was ‘buckskin legged’; mine had black legs. She said that the moose with buckskin legs were tenderer than ones with black legs. Has anyone else heard of this? She’s a long time country girl/rancher and has ate her fair amount of moose so I was just wondering if there is any truth to her comment.

I am not a expert..but my daughter shot this one and it was tough as leather.. butcher said some are tough and some are not. We turned a lot of it in to cube steak.. which made amazing CFS..IMG_2797 (3).jpg

I have never heard that before think it has more to do with age of the animal. The GF shot a 55.5" bull in 2015 and he is tough. No chomping through the grissle on his steaks its over 1/4" thick. I shot a 45" in 2013 and he was just at the point where he was starting to get tough

I have never heard that before think it has more to do with age of the animal. The GF shot a 55.5" bull in 2015 and he is tough. No chomping through the grissle on his steaks its over 1/4" thick. I shot a 45" in 2013 and he was just at the point where he was starting to get tough

I’ll let you know how mine turns out after I get it back from the butcher. My bull’s testicles hadn’t even quite ‘dropped’ yet. I found that kind of strange.

The young bull, my son shot this year, has been very tender and very good eating. I have given out several steaks and packages of hamburger to friends and we have heard nothing but good in regards to taste and tenderness of the meat.

Back