Creature comforts - What do you bring to base camp?

I'll probably need to finally get a smart phone so while at a camp somewhere in bum%#$@, I can keep track of how people feel about what NFL players are doing................

If you are some where that you can get a cell phone signal you are not back in far enough.

Im gonna catch hell for it, but have been known to put a small microwave in the truck. I use a fairly robust power inverter and hot breakfast ready in a matter of seconds. Ive always hated waiting around...

Heat....I suffered for the first time this year with no heat and won't do it again. The last night was the worst, but then again maybe I thinned out my blood too much with beer that last night.. :)

I almost forgot.....have to stop at the general store in Toponas for a 12 pack of Busch Light!! My first year I did that and went 2 for 2 so now it is a must have ;)

Our creature comfort is base camp. All the comforts of home. We're not into self torture for hunting, it should be fun and relaxing. If we harvest our quarry, great. If not we still had a great vacation.

DSCN0690.jpg

GR8Bwana,

Great response. Most of us; this is vacation. Have fun. I do. If I harvest, OK. If I do not, it is still vacation.

My daughter is now 28 and my best vacations were hunting with her when she was 3 or 4. Great memories. Gutting a deer with a 4 year old that want to help. Priceless. She did help!

I love to take an actual pillow. But in reality any day out hunting or fishing is better then a day at work.

What do you bring with you to your hunting base camp? I ask, because I find my favorite "must have" to a camp is the bucket toilet seat. It's just nice to sit. I found it funny that my sister didn't know the "fallen log" trick during our day hunts till last year, but back at camp, ah, sweet comfort. I think dad is surprising me this year with a ply-wood box with a seat.

What do you find just makes base camp a little more comfortable for you?
I actually cut a hole in a metal folding chair and attached a toilet seat and took with us. My big butt doesn't fit on a luggable loo very well.

What we do for a comfortable base camp is getting more ridiculous the older we get but as someone mentioned it is vacation as well. This is what it took for three guys this year.
20170910_073345 - Copy.jpg
All that, ^^^ turns into this.vvv
20170911_170746 - Copy.jpg
Includes but not limited to...
Wall tent with cook shack and vestibule.
Cots and enough bedding to be comfortable no matter the temp.
Heat source just to be sure you stay comfortable.
Many large coolers full of good fresh food and drink.
Multiple cook stoves.
Hot shower. Some years more extravagant then others.
A little bit of whisky...
and this vvv
20170915_105113.jpg

My Directv tailgater and a generator. Last year watched the election in a wall tent at 10000 feet. Drank a bottle of crown and watched Hilldebeest go down in defeat.

A good tent, oversized cot with 4" memory foam mattress, two propane heaters, floor rug, clothes rack, cot buddy for rifles, pistol, and drink holder. I clearly go to a campsite that I can drive to. I also carry a PLB for safety and a sat phone to talk to my wife and call for help if needed. At my age, hunting is going to not only be fun, but comfortable. :eek:

I almost forgot.....have to stop at the general store in Toponas for a 12 pack of Busch Light!! My first year I did that and went 2 for 2 so now it is a must have ;)

Might want to call them this year before you head up, if I recall correctly I think they might have closed. Next stop is Yampa.

Indoor/outdoor carpet in the wall tent. It's nice to be able to get up and walk around without 1st putting on shoes and it sure makes the tent feel warmer and more cozy.

My Directv tailgater and a generator. Last year watched the election in a wall tent at 10000 feet. Drank a bottle of crown and watched Hilldebeest go down in defeat.

I'll buy a replacement bottle if we ever cross paths my friend.

Back