Gallbladder

Brian in Montana

My poor wife just had her gallbladder removed. Weird surgery, she's felt bad for a long time. Hopefully this will straighten it out.

My wife had hers out and has never felt better. Hope your wife gets to feeling better soon...

Had mine out a few years ago also after having issues with it for a while and not knowing what was causing the pain in my upper stomach. I feel great and have had no issues eating spicy food or anything else since my surgery. She'll heal quickly.

I had mine taken out too. The only thing different is I get heart burn now and it took a while for my bathroom routine to get back to the way it was before.

I had mine out several years ago, after dealing with excruciating pain for two years that didn't fit the classic gallbladder symptoms. What a relief! Hope she's feeling better soon!

This sounds exactly like what she's been experiencing. Pretty much non-stop abdominal discomfort. She said on her "good" days she feels both hungry and full/bloated at the same time. The surgeon that took it out said it was full of scar tissue. Maybe from an infection but he had no idea how it got that way, actually. It was just toast for some reason. Weird problem.

Hollys at home now. Sleeping it off.

My wife had attacks off and on for several years. Then excruciating pain so severe she just drove herself to the hospital while I was sitting in a tree stand. Full of stones, and in bad shape the Doc said. Then about 3 months later she developed acute Pancreatitis from a stone that plugged up the duct work from the Pancreas to the stomach, They went in up thorugh her stomach with a device ran down her throat and removed her stone and reemed out her duct there. Been OK sense.

Was on vacation in Hawaii when got a pain similar to a hot poker rod just underneath my sternum. The pain would build over about 45 minutes then ebb away for a bit then build again. Never found a comfortable position that reliably caused the pain to ebb as was building. Went to ER. A quick sonogram showed a bunch of cholesterol sand inside the gall bladder that would slide around like sand in an hour glass and would get in the internal folds of the gall bladder and create the spasms that generated pain. Lived on warm chicken broth, crackers and pain pills for a week until could get back home on the mainland and then same routine for a few more days until the surgery. Had scarred the liver where the gall bladder touched against the liver so they whittled on the liver a bit, too.

A week after surgery was back to normal and no similar pain ever again, knock on wood.

Don't let your symptoms linger. I was never diagnosed properly. Once I was about dead they found out. With a regular removal you are home the next day. I was in hospital 8 days. 4-5 on morphine and anti-biotic for infection. then they went thru throat and down in to remove stones. Next day operate and take out bladder. Next day when I came thru Doc came in and said I was lucky ,it was the worst He ever seen. Gangreenly and puss oozing out of it He said. took more days in hospital as I had to learn to walk again.. Took a month or more to feel right. I was lcky. I don't let any go any more. If I have pain I get it checked out. I am 61 now and this happened 7 years ago....Stay Heatlhy all............BOB!

After 7 years of pain and suffering the military still couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, then I retired and finally went to a civilian doctor and he diagnosed gall stones after about a 3 minute conversation. It seems that gall bladder attacks are very similar to heart attack symptoms so the military kept sending me to have my heart checked - did 3 or 4 heart stress tests and they still wanted to send me for another one just before I retired. When they finally removed my gall bladder it had burst and healed so many times that it had adhered to my liver and they had to remove a portion of it along with the gall bladder. The last attack I had I laid in the bathtub naked for about 8 hours with everything coming out of both ends of my body - sepsis had gotten pretty bad. Not a fun experience. I can't tolerate fatty foods now, peanut butter is off the menu and fast food hamburgers and fries are pretty much a thing of the past too.

Had mine out four months ago and I am just now fully recovering. Some days are great and others no so much. Had to have another Cat Scan last week to be sure they didn't leave a stone in the bile duct. Like someone else said, there was a lot a scaring and bloating. I had to have the scan before my doctor would approve my hunting trip to Colorado, which she has done. I hope your wife has a much better time than I did. Age plays a big part in how easy your recovery will be. I am 69 so I will heal slower than a younger person.

I had mine removed in March of last year after to bouts of gallstone attacks. Decided to have it out before it became a really difficult situation. I went into the OR at 8am on a Thusday and walked out of the hospital at 1pm. Back to regular routine by the next Monday.

Hope she recovers completly and no more pain/issues. Low fat diet is a must.

Greg

4 years ago my wife (at age 44) had a 9mm gall stone get expelled and stuck in her Common Bile Duct (which is ~10mm diameter, so essentially a complete blockage). It is below the point where both the liver and pancreas connect in, so infection is almost immediate and can be very bad.

As rammac said, she was more or less prone in the tub or bathroom floor for half a day. I came home, cancelled my upcoming flight and drove her to the ER and it was similar to naturebobs experience - ER doc diagnosed it immediately and CT confirmed in an hour. 1.5 days of antibiotics and morphine, then pluck the stone, let the infection get killed in the liver, then laparoscopic removal of the gall bladder (which, as noted, if scheduled in advance, is quite simple and relatively pain- and side effect- free with only 3 small incisions).

She was back to normal in a week or two and has been on a completely normal diet since maybe a month or two after. A heavy fatty food binge will catch up to her, so she’s more careful of that, but nothing has caused pain ever since. Bonus - she’d like me to bring home more antelope :)

I hope your wife’s recovery is swift, it should be a world of difference going forward with that sucker out of there.

Back