Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

2018 f 150

88man

Guys, what are your thoughts and experience. The 3.5 ecoboost vs the 5.0
Thanks,

3.6 Ecoboost is where it is at. I have one in my 2013. Absolutely no issues at all with at at 80k. Those engines have been going well past 250k, hitting 400k with ease. From my mechanic: "I don't know much about them, I don't see them in my shop." Pulling trailers is no problem, I don't loose any power. My buddy has the 5.0, and we both like the 3.6

I have a 2017 and went with the 5.0l and 6 speed. For 2018 it will have the same transmission as the 3.5l. So the mileage may get better but right now I am only averaging 15MPG. I am realizing with the cost of ownership I would of been better off getting the 3.5l. The 5.0l is just not worth it in the end game.

I should add if I do 55 I can get 27mpg. At 80 I get about 17.

I have the 2.7. I had a 5.0, before she was totaled. sigh. anyways, there is little to no difference in power b/t the two. i got 18-19 mpg with the 5.0, and 20-22 with the 2.7. if i could do it over, i'd get the 5.0 again.

It's interesting that all their engines now have both port and direct injectors.

I went with the 5.0 because I am a ford guy.. I know A guy who toasted his turbos towing a boat to the river in AZ.. but that was in 2016 model.. maybe they fixed it by now..

My son has the Ecoboost in his F150 and has had very good luck, I'd say it's a very proven engine at this point.

The 2017 3.5L ecoboost was a redesign and the 2018 2.7L has added port injectors. I'm actually more interested in them now as I think they've fixed some issues.

I would get the 5.0 before its gone. Ford has announced its on the chopping block since its an older motor ( basically the old mustang 5.0) I have had 2 of them. 2014, 2016. I drive one for work and hope I get enough miles to get a new one before they are gone.
Tows fantastic with toms of power and torgue and I have never had one issue in over 200k with both trucks combined.

I don't really put much stock into guys saying they are really dependable motors, 100k with no problems, etc. That's expected, IMO. I wonder how everything holds up at 300 and 400k.

I am a Ford guy with no major prejudices against any of the brands, I really hope the motors/turbos/electronics are still functioning properly when they're 20 year old trucks, I just am a bit skeptical.

Just bought the 2017 F150 in 2.7 after months and months of research, it's a motor that will flat out leave you speechless. It doesn't have the towing capacity of the 5.0 or 3.5, but it matches both it terms of power and from what I experienced, surpassed both in throttle response. Neither my camper nor boat comes close to the max towing capacity of the 2.7, so I was fine with spending less money for a newer truck. I've heard nothing but good things about the 2.7, after driving the 5.0, 3.5 and 2.7 I can honestly say that Ford probably stepped on the 3.5's toes with the 2.7. I'll let you know how it handles my camper soon. But after a long hunting trip this past weekend, it's been a great buy.

I don't really put much stock into guys saying they are really dependable motors, 100k with no problems, etc. That's expected, IMO. I wonder how everything holds up at 300 and 400k.

I am a Ford guy with no major prejudices against any of the brands, I really hope the motors/turbos/electronics are still functioning properly when they're 20 year old trucks, I just am a bit skeptical.

If you do some digging and look at reports and reviews you will find that these engines are going 300k+. That's from first hand experiences I read and others tests. I looked for about a year before I settled on the ecoboost.

I have the 5.0 L in my 2015 F-150 and have had good luck with it, but I know a few guys with the 3.5 Ecoboost and they have had good luck with them as well.

We are 1100 miles into our trip pulling a 3500lb enclosed trailer. Even running premium we are averaging 10.6 mpg with an average speed of 65 mph. Get the ECO boost.

I bought a 2017 F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost in May. I'm amazed at the power and low end torque it has. I've only ever owned GM trucks and so far I'm loving the Ford.

Copied and pasted from another conversation I was just having about this...

My last 2 trucks have been Fords.

2012 F150 with 5.0, 3:55 rearend and 5.5 box. A good truck put 80,000 on it. Water pump went out at about 40. Changed pads at 50. Rotors were fine. Pulled my old 5500# trailer OK but ride sucked when a bought a longer one at about the same weight.

Recently traded in on a 2014 F150 with 3.5 Eco, 3:73 rearend, 6.5 box, and Max Tow package. Night and Day difference in all categories over the 2012. Thing is IMO the most capable 1/2 ton I could get for what I want. Ride was unbelievable with P rated tires on it but I bought this truck to do work so I had dealer swap them out to LT tires so I lost a little of that. Tows everything I want great and the extra wheel base make a big difference in how it carries my TT. Get same or better gas mileage then the 12, when empty, depending on how I drive. The Eco has a ton of power but when you call on it it does drink the gas. My turn to drive to CO for elk hunt this year. 3 men, fully loaded with way to much crap. Trailer with Side By Side, head wind all the way across Nebraska and Wyoming. Probably about 4000# in bead and trailer. 10 MPG average. OUCH!!! But I did drive like a butthole. Any time on interstate west of Lincoln I was 80 MPH or better. Never even noticed the trailer or weight as far as driving.

Not sure what kind of mileage you get with the new tranny in the 3.5.

Also, NO WAY will I ever have a 5'6" bed again. The 12 " might not seam like much but it is a huge difference.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back