Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2018 f 150

This will be my 4th F 150. The last two both had 3.73 gears. Seems like its alot harder to get with the 3.73 gears these days. Will I see a difference between 3.55 vs 3.73 if I can't get the 3.73. I'm most likely gonna get the 3.5 ECO with the 10 speed.

I love the 3.5's, I have one in my wifes 2015 Expedition, and have the SUPER 3.5 in my 2017 Raptor........both tow well, perform well, have good mileage and have had no problems...I had a 5.4L F150, and the 6.2L in my 2014 Raptor.......the 5.4 was not in the league of the 3.5, and the 6.2 could compete towing wise, but not in fuel economy.

My 2002 supercrew had the 5.4. Good engine and I got everywhere I needed to go. Good power. (Got totaled this past winter)

Bought a 2014 King Ranch Supercrew. 3.5L Eco and I am in love. The truck is an awesome ride, more bells and whistles than I can shake a stick at. It has 100 more horsepower than my old truck. Traveling west this fall, it never downshifted until central montana. (Not towing anything, but loaded with 4 wheeler and hunting gear for 3 weeks). 36 gallon gas tank gives me range. Only knock is the box is a little short. An extra foot would allow me to close tailgate with 4 wheeler in it. MPG is better than 5.4. 18 HWY 13.6 City for 3.5. (5.4 would rarely get me over 15 HWY)

My uncle has the 2017 with the smaller 2.7 L engine.
He pulls a PJ trailer with 2 1949 Ford N tractors to parades and shows.
Full trailer weight is between 8-10 K lbs and the truck pulls fine if the tongue weight is distributed back to the trailer.

Got a 2011 3.5 Screw EB 4x4 90k on the dash. no mods. Power is ridiculous. Huge difference in power curve is EB is putting numbers down around 2500 rpms not 4000 like v8 models. I was very nervous about buying until I got to know a few guys that have them. No worries for me now. Tempted to through a custom tune on it that is when they really come to life.

88man I think you will be fine with the 10 speed and 3.55. If you search the Ford forums you can find a spreadsheet that compares the gear reduction for the 3.73 vs 3.55 for both the 6 speed and new 10 speed. The 3.55 with the 10 speed will have a lower gear and higher gear reduction compared to the 6 speed with 3.73. The 3.73 are hard to find in the crew cab with 6.5' bed unless you order it.

I checked them out but ended up with another Tundra. Now if Toyota would just increase the bed length on their Crew max cab you may have the best truck out there.

From the spreadsheet I found online.
1st gear with 3.73 15.56
6th gear with 3.73 2.58

1st gear with 3.55 16.65
10th gear with 3.55 2.24

After dumping well over 10,000 in cash on my F250 6.0. I will never buy another Ford. It spent more time in the shop than it did in our driveway. We took care of it and did everything the dealership told us to do. Oil coolers, ficm, injectors etc..... and after so many trips to the dealership they told us they could not help anymore because Ford had quit paying for warranty work. We kept meticulous records, contacted lawyers, all to no avail. Every time we got in the truck, I was scared to death something else was going to happen. Not a great feeling to have. We then took it to the aftermarket shops, had the EGR delete done, new studs, head gaskets, etc... Guess what, it blew up sitting in traffic at a red light. My wife drove the truck and pampered it. No more for us! That being said, my company buys me a new truck every five years and I have the Ford 150 with the eco-boost. Mileage sucks when towing but no complaints other than that.

After dumping well over 10,000 in cash on my F250 6.0. I will never buy another Ford. It spent more time in the shop than it did in our driveway. We took care of it and did everything the dealership told us to do. Oil coolers, ficm, injectors etc..... and after so many trips to the dealership they told us they could not help anymore because Ford had quit paying for warranty work. We kept meticulous records, contacted lawyers, all to no avail. Every time we got in the truck, I was scared to death something else was going to happen. Not a great feeling to have. We then took it to the aftermarket shops, had the EGR delete done, new studs, head gaskets, etc... Guess what, it blew up sitting in traffic at a red light. My wife drove the truck and pampered it. No more for us! That being said, my company buys me a new truck every five years and I have the Ford 150 with the eco-boost. Mileage sucks when towing but no complaints other than that.

Yeah, seems that ford is doing a better job on their ecoboost gassers than the powerstrokes.

...F250 6.0...

My stomach turned when I read what you put into the 6.0 because I was in the same boat years ago. I had an 03 F250 6.0, after two full sets of injectors, EGR problems, and oil cooler issues I had enough and jumped that ship before it even hit 100K miles. I wouldn't turn my back on an entire company though, yea Ford laid a egg in the form of a lemon with the 6.0, but I feel they redeemed themselves 10 fold with the eco-boost. Very happy with the eco-boost after driving the gutless 5.4.

I have a 2016 SCrew 4X4 3.5 EB long box. Love it. Great mileage (I average about 18-19 per tank but the tank is so big at 36 gallons it is almost never all highway or around town but a mix). Best mileage to date was 24.7 on a rare all highway speed tank (60 mph). Pulling a 16' enclosed trailer on my WY antelope hunt mostly at 80 mph, I averaged 10.5. I think that is pretty good. Great mileage when not pulling but the power to pull when you need it. Amenities are great. No issues at all, but only just over 30,000 miles.

My stomach turned when I read what you put into the 6.0 because I was in the same boat years ago. I had an 03 F250 6.0, after two full sets of injectors, EGR problems, and oil cooler issues I had enough and jumped that ship before it even hit 100K miles. I wouldn't turn my back on an entire company though, yea Ford laid a egg in the form of a lemon with the 6.0, but I feel they redeemed themselves 10 fold with the eco-boost. Very happy with the eco-boost after driving the gutless 5.4.

The hardest thing to stomach from that truck and the amount of cash it took from my family was that Ford settled a multi-million dollar lawsuit with NAVISTAR International who designed the powerstroke engine. I have never heard of any one consumer ever receiving a nickle from Ford for this. This is why a common person like myself has little to no faith in this system.

Huntabsarokee, what about when I up size tires.

2012 with the 3.5L Eco and max tow. My truck has 85000 miles and not a single issue. Just did plugs and brakes in the past month and thats it. Lots of mechanics in my family and friends group. Several have Eco's.
It cracks me up that anyone would say something like "not having to worry about turbos" and talking about longevity. Turbos have been in diesel motors for decades and no one is telling diesel manufacturers to dump turbos.

I was also a 6.0L F350 owner prior to this truck.

Last edited:
Huntabsarokee, what about when I up size tires.

Not an engineer but it seems like you would be better off with the 3.55 and the 10 speed. Also are you talking upsizing 1 inch or putting on 35's.

You could always search through Ford's system and find 3.73 or just order the truck the way you wanted it.

Or buy an F250 with 4.10s.

ALso if you don't tow regularly you probably are better off with the 3.55.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd wait a couple few years on the new 10 speed trans..
That 10 speed tranny is getting the shit flogged out of it in Camaros with over double the horsepower of a Ford 1/2 ton pickup. Faster lap and strip times than a standard. Take it for what it's worth, I bet the 10 speed will be ok. Me, I wouldn't buy an F150 on a bet, but, I do like the GM/Ford development of this transmission. mtmuley

Best selling vehicle in America. Must be doing something right. Sitting here in my 2015 5.0. Drive the crap out of it every day. Getting 19mpg has 48k on it

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back