PEAX Equipment

Eastern WY Deer Units 10-14 whitetails - difficult access?

COEngineer

My dad and I picked up some cheap ($34) whitetail doe-only tags for an excuse to go hunting in WY. All of the units are listed as "difficult public access," but looking at the map there seems to be quite a bit of public land, specifically much of the Thunder Basin National Grasslands.

I have driven through the area, but never hunted it. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions? I am open to anything, including where to camp or motels to stay in. Places to avoid?

Anyone know what the whitetail/mulie population mix is? I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between them, but it would be nice going to know if we will mostly see one or the other or if it's closer to 50/50.

Thanks in advance.

I hunted that area a few years ago for antelope. We saw very few whitetails. I'd say it was 90% mule deer and 10% whitetails. About the only place we saw them was in a few creek bottoms where there was a little bit of water. That's where I would focus my efforts. The Rochelle Hills in the north central part of the unit is a good place to camp. Otherwise get a hotel in Wright.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back