Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Elk Help

Ulmer338

I'm leaving Friday for a 2nd season rifle DIY elk hunt near Walden CO we plan on hunting around big creek lake and independence mountain. Would like to hunt around big creek lake on beaver creek trail head but we are worried about the amount of snow that may be up there we would like stay away from independence mountain because of the amount of roads that are on it. How much snow does it usually take to push the elk off up high around the Davis peak area once again we would like to just stay away from people we scouted it this summer and we picked the area because of the burn that's gone through there and we know that the vegetation growth should be good this year I'm not asking for spots or anything but just really any advice on how the elk might move after heavy snow fall up high. Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen anywhere in northern or central Colorado that has received enough snow this fall to push the elk down. I am guessing they will still be high. Bulls especially take a good 2+ feet of snow and sustained cold temperatures to force them to lower elevations .

Not enough snow. I look at some web cams that I found on line to see what is up in my area. It's still warm here. I hear there may be rain/snow in some areas of the state on Saturday, but nothing to jump for joy over. It's another warm 2nd season everywhere in Colorado. Sigh....

I don' think there is enough snow to move the elk down, but the hunting pressure can move the elk down. Also, it will be cold. It was 24 degrees at my house this morning. I would plan on teens at night and in the mornings up in the mountains.

It is another warm year for Colorado. I was out there again this year for muzzleloader elk. Way too hot! I have never hunted when it was that warm out there and we started at almost 12K feet. Was able to harvest a cow the last morning, as they were heading to bed at first light. Should be a good late season this year.

Weather

Just up there for 1st. Opener was great weather- colder, snow from 10-6pm. Then it got warmer and warmer. It was 66 degrees on Tuesdat at 9k feet up. It most of the snow was gone except very high. Animals got very quiet and were not moving much. Even with no moon they were still moving late. Hope it will cool down for you.
I'm leaving Friday for a 2nd season rifle DIY elk hunt near Walden CO we plan on hunting around big creek lake and independence mountain. Would like to hunt around big creek lake on beaver creek trail head but we are worried about the amount of snow that may be up there we would like stay away from independence mountain because of the amount of roads that are on it. How much snow does it usually take to push the elk off up high around the Davis peak area once again we would like to just stay away from people we scouted it this summer and we picked the area because of the burn that's gone through there and we know that the vegetation growth should be good this year I'm not asking for spots or anything but just really any advice on how the elk might move after heavy snow fall up high. Thanks.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back