Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Two elk spots

Marshian

Im still relatively new to elk hunting and have narrowed my opening day of rifle season to two spots, neither of which I have ever rifle hunted.

One spot is much smaller and is a mountain top plains area where I saw some sign and a a cow with two calves a week ago. I was pretty happy with that place considering I was up there at mid day and not at sunrise or sunset which of course I will be on the opener.

The other spot has ten times more elk, hundreds actually, but they all are on private land albeit within a quarter mile or so of the boundary. im pretty sure they stay there pretty much all the time right now, but I haven't scouted the boundary to see if some stragglers come and go.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced these big herds getting pushed off private during the confusion and melee of the opener? Does anyone have an opinion where they would go. I assume I'll see some hunters at both spots since neither is s terrible walk- about 1.5-2 miles, and the big herd is visible from a graded dirt road although you can't get to them from there. Thanks for your thoughts and good luck come Saturday.

From my experience I would hunt the smaller parcel surrounded by private. Set up in a saddle, fence line crossing, opening with good visibility, and just wait. I would bet that those elk on the private will get hunted. Good luck this Saturday, I can't wait! I'm going to do some glassing this evening and at daylight tomorrow, and get some firewood cut for the opening week.

Find the exit route off private and post up. Look for a nice saddle if you can. Give them plenty of time to get to you. They could come quick but not always.

If you get an opportunity for a shot make sure it's far enough away from the private property boundary that the animal can't make it there. Whenever we hunt elk of any kind we are always of the mindset to keep shooting until it is down. You would be amazed at just how far a wounded elk can travel even with a lethal wound.
Good luck on your hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back