NM unit 36 and 37

Jlgibbon1

Hello all- Looking for a bit of info on New Mexico unit 36 and 37 for elk. Myself and a buddy are looking to try our luck in the draw for muzzleloader or rifle. Being I live in MN, scouting is obviously an issue. I've been told the units can be pretty gnarly, but not afraid to get into a hell hole. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Not to be Debbie downer, but I would draw the tag first. Your cyber scouting is good enough to know the units are good elk units and worthy of applying. Draw odds are less than 10% (shooting from the hip). Which statistically draw once in ten+ years.

Last edited:
What Barebow said. The challenge in New Mexico isn't so much finding elk as it is drawing a tag. A lot could change in the 10-20 years it's likely to take you to draw those hunts.

36 is an awesome elk unit. I have no experience in 37, but I have heard the elk densities aren't the same as 34 and 36. As other have said you will have single digit odds of drawing.

I just got done with the Muzzleloader hunt in 37. Had a blast, saw elk everyday. Even had a chance to kill a decent bull. Instead i decided to shoot under it and leave it for you! I have spend a lot of time in 37 hunting both deer and elk. Let me know what you need and i can help.

Clarification

I’ve been hunting deer in 37 for over 40 years. There are scattered elk throughout this unit but you can go days without seeing any. The lions and coyotes have almost decimated the once thriving deer that lived in this unit. More and more of the land yearly is being fenced off and leased by the Forrest Service. It’s a tough hunt....

Let me add that me experience is strictly the south side of Capitan up Salazar Canyon past the Baca Campgrounds as far as you can go, about 11 miles. This area is rough in the rain.

Last edited:
i agree with every thing you said...but leased by the forest(?) service is a good thing...you still have access...its interesting to me that around the "suburbs" of ruidoso and capitan there is a lot of deer and good bucks to look at while there is very few in the mountains...the deer have become accustomed to barking dogs and humanity more than coyotes and lions...now coyotes and lions following them in...the bottom line is you can kill the deer or let the predators kill them..its simple and our choice to defend or not

i agree with every thing you said...but leased by the forest(?) service is a good thing...you still have access...its interesting to me that around the "suburbs" of ruidoso and capitan there is a lot of deer and good bucks to look at while there is very few in the mountains...the deer have become accustomed to barking dogs and humanity more than coyotes and lions...now coyotes and lions following them in...the bottom line is you can kill the deer or let the predators kill them..its simple and our choice to defend predators or not

Draw odds, steep. Some of the canyons in 36, even steeper. Beautiful country though, love spending time in 36.

J

Back