MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Thats my girl

Doublecluck

My daughter has always wanted a nice lope to put on the wall. A little history, last year we had a great looking goat glassed on the side of a hill about 1/2 mile way. About 200 yards in to the stalk she came across a smaller wounded lope and used her tag to put it down. last weekend she was about to shoot the 14" buck I shot but I took the gun and stole it from her knowing this area had more to offer. Last Sunday she stayed home and my Brother in law and myself went in to a new area about a mile from the roads and found a few decent bucks. I had spotted this buck but had my brother in law shoot another one hoping that this one would survive until this weekend.

We arrived at the hunting grounds at Lst, I was not worried too much as only a small portion of this public land crosses the road and you cannot glass any of it from the road. Hunting it requires what many won't do.. WALK IN.. As usual there was not anyone parked there so off we went. We peeked in to the first bowl and came up with nothing. After a few minutes I could sense what was going on in my daughters head, "go back to the truck and hunt the block management" A good thought and one that would no doubt likely turn up a typical 14-15" Montana lope. I looked at her, smiled and said "ready" and off we went toward the far end of the public lands. As we came over the ridge and peeked in to the last bowl I immediately saw the black tips above the yellow grass 50 yards below me. The buck was slightly startled but not on a full run yet. I quickly stood my pack up and my daughter set the rifle across it and told me to zoom out the vortex 6-24 so she could find it, I ranged it walking directly away at 212 yards and told her to hold directly on it as soon as it was broadside. Maybe sensing the danger it started to trot away, I told her as soon as she's got a shot take it..at the top of the ridge, it made the mistake and in typical antelope fashion stopped to look back. I ranged it again 294 and told her to hold half a mil. looking thru my binoculars I expected the shot, seconds went by, unusual as I have been many times in this spot before and its almost like she pulls the trigger at the exact time I would if I was looking thru the scope. Then just as it started to quarter away to go down the hill and escape in to the private land that was a few hundred yards away she squeezed the trigger and the 7mm rem mag barked. I am not sure how good of a lope this is but its bigger than any I have so she has bragging rights for now.

DSC_0354.jpgDSC_0339.jpgDSC_0331.jpg

Congratulations to you daughter. That is a beautiful lope. Will be interesting to see what it will score.

Congratulations to you daughter. That is a beautiful lope. Will be interesting to see what it will score.

Using the Boone & Crocket online score calculator we came up with 81 3/8".. now I am interested what it would score with an official after its dry. The horns are 17" exactly.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back