New Mexico draw question

JBales

I'm not sure I can do this. But here is my question. If I apply for non-resident oryx, ibex and bighorn. Do I pay for all 3 at the time of applying or just the highest one?

You gotta foot a nice credit card bill up front for all 3 and later on get most all of it back, until you get lucky enough that they keep a bunch - that really doesn't sound lucky the way I wrote it, but it's worth it.

How can someone feel comfortable/afford applying in several states? The applying is new to me. Sounds like I need $50,000 to float around.

The cost certainly creates a barrier to applying everywhere and can be confusing. Most states refund the majority of your money when unsuccessful; some like WA OR and ID don't refund the license cost, just tag costs (if I remember correctly), so you have to plan it out. Randy does have a few YouTube videos that help clarify how many of the application processes work. Here's a link to one.
[video=youtube;hf_7h0qrWVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf_7h0qrWVE[/video]

You need about $25,000 in the bank or on credit cards to apply for everything in AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV, ID, MT, WY and TX. You will start to get refunds before the last applications are due so that is why $25,000 will be enough. When the dust settles, if you draw no tags then you will be out $2500 for things you paid or bought as part of the application process. If you draw a tag then are out more money but that is the goal of applying. You can add CA and OR but odds for non-residents in those states are minimal. WA has no cap on non-resident tags but the cost application cost is significant for the odds.

You will need a hunter's ed card to apply in some states.

Thanks for the bits of info. It is very confusing and hard to understand. I will start with New Mexico and work out from that.

New Mexico gives most of the money back. I always had Christmas in June and July. Did not draw much. I think New Mexico is most honest in the draw. Will refund most funds except the application fee. Out of state is expensive, get your money back and is worth a shot! You are not stuck with a license you had to buy. The state refunds it!

Thanks for the bits of info. It is very confusing and hard to understand. I will start with New Mexico and work out from that.

CO and WY are more generous with permits for nonresidents.

New Mexico state law has established the following quotas for draw hunts.
• 84% of draw licenses are awarded to New Mexico residents.
• 10% of draw licenses are awarded to residents and nonresidents applying with a New Mexico registered outfitter.
• 6% of draw licenses are awarded to nonresidents applying without a New Mexico registered outfitter.

Whiptail is 100% correct. You get your money back.

I drew a elk tag after 30 years applying It ain't easy. But it is worth it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back