Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Drawing a moose tag?

Oneye

I would really like to draw a moose tag in my life. It is my once in a lifetime species here in Utah but looking at the odds I’m just not sure it will ever happen. I’m thinkig about starting to apply in other states I’m just wondering what the best option or state is to give me the best chance of drawing a moose tag in my life? I would at least like to hunt them once. If you prefer PM me. Thanks for any advice.

If I were you I would look into hunting them in Alaska.

I’ve considered it, it’s just a little daunting to me, especially the legalities in regards to a legal bull. I guess it’s not too hard to understand. I would love to hunt an Alaskan moose though, I guess planning on it over the next 10-15 years would definetly make it more comfortable though.

My wife shot a 159" (49" wide) bull in SE Idaho a few years ago. Great odds for non- residents in certain units.

I'd say Idaho or even better British Columbia. IMG_2921.jpg my son took this bull 9/28, 51 1/2".

Idaho but there is a 10% cap for non-residents for moose but also for each unit and usually around 8% go to non-residents for moose. Disregard the recent draw patterns for certain units. There is no pattern so just because a unit gave out a tag to a non-resident for 3 straight years means nothing. Applications are drawn randomly and if there is a tag in that unit and the cap is not met then you get a tag in that unit as a non-resident unless the 10% cap was hit for that unit or for moose overall.

To find your odds as a non-resident to draw a moose tag, add up all the non-resident moose tags awarded in 2017 and the number of non-resident applicants for moose in 2017. you can break out bull from cow tags but the 10% cap is for all moose. Again, count all tags awarded to NR and all applicants. The applicants and tags for a unit are not meaningful since ZERO tags guaranteed in ID for non-residents.

I've drawn moose tags in Utah and Wyoming and hunted them in Alaska. I'd stick with your Utah points and start applying in Idaho. As already mentioned you can get some very affordable moose hunts in Canada as well as a diy in Alaska.

If you really want to hunt one for sure it appears to me the best bet is a guided hunt in British Columbia. I have no interest in hunting with a guide but it's the law there. Some hunts are not much more than double the cost of a tag in Idaho and they are guaranteed. I got lucky and drew an Idaho tag but they are long shots.

Montana: I've put in for 39 years in a row now for moose and sheep and have never drawn a tag. Each year I hear stories and know people who are on the second or third moose or sheep tag, even with a 7 year mandatory wait period before you can apply again after having drawn a tag. Sure would like to see them make moose, sheep, and goat once in a lifetime. No it won't dramatically increase your odds or mine, but it's a step in the right direction and no-one truly deserves to harvest more than one of these incredible animals.

Montana does have some good moose areas if you can get a tag.

I have also drawn a moose tag in Idaho. Be realistic with your unit selection. Guess what, the best unit tags will likely be long gone by the time the all the 10% non resident tags get drawn. I personally chose a unit that had reports of wolves. Guess what, I saw wolf tracks but also saw signs of moose. Hunt hard and find something representative of the species. The hunting experience sure beats no experience at all. I tagged out and have zero regrets.

Last year was my dads 30th year putting in for a moose tag in Montana. He had basically given up on getting one so he booked a moose hunt in Sas. for November. Well turns out he drew his Montana tag that year finally! So two moose hunts in one year for that lucky bastard! I guess I wouldn't give up on drawing one yet and take the advice others have said. He did that Canada moose hunt for a decent price too and has had a blast on his hunt.

In all seriousness it can be done, but is pretty much luck of the draw. Brother put in for his Idaho bull last year, nada. Both of us put in this year and he drew as one of the lucky ones in a five tag area.

You could easily a moose hunt in Alaska for $5000+/-, door to door, more or less... but you're going to have to do your research. There are places to hunt here that would cost you a RT airfare (free if you sign up for Alaska Airlines card and get 30,000 miles), rental car (maybe $6-700), and OTC hunting license/tags ($700). Toss in another $500-700 for incidentals. Success rate is less, but... it beats dreaming about moose hunting.

I've never added up how many NR moose tags are available in all western drawings, but I'd bet its fewer than 200. Out of curiosity, I just pulled the these applicants and successful in drawing:
MT - 2984 and 14 drew ($80 a year just to apply)
CO 1686 and 32 drew. (about $120 just to apply)
WY 1500+/- and 60 drew - only 8 in the "random" draw, the rest to highest point holders. (I think $120 to apply)
ID 2000+/- and 60ish drew (about $165 to apply)

I am going form memory on the application/permit fees. The may differ... Points, systems vary, but the reality is there are only x number of tags issued, and if you don't have max points, you're behind the curve. ID is your best odds, but still slim.

Odds are long no matter what.

I am in the same boat. Turned 37 this year, I feel like I have a solid 20 years left of quality DIY type hunting if I treat myself fairly. I will hunt moose.... one way or another. I'd love to get both an Alaskan/Yukon and a Shiras on the wall. I know the smaller doober will require plenty of wait time to draw a tag. I also plan to retire next summer and move back to MT. I'll apply in ID, MT, MY and CO. I think to be fair to myself whatever $ amount goes to app fees etc will then be matched into a savings account strictly used for my AK moose trip. I know once I plan to do that, might as well add in deer, bear, Caribou and some fishing.... So that money will need to be quite a bit more...

Food for thought, most of us have friends in AK so best case sceaneiro I just have to drive up with some clothes and they provide weapons/gear etc. Worst case, I have to plan more, do more paperwork, etc.

If a Moose hunt was a "bucket list" hunt for you, I would start putting money away into an account and go on a hunt up North when you are ready either DIY or guided. Life is short and if it's something you really want to do, go do it. Playing the points game waiting for a miracle to happen isn't a good plan if you are just starting out IMO. You could apply until your 70 and never draw. If it means a lot to you, head North in the near future. That way you know FOR SURE that you will get to do a hunt and be able to go while you are physically able. Just my .02

I dreamed of hunting moose since I was 12 and started hunting.Two years ago I went to Alaska and hunted moose diy.I took a nice 54" bull,and am so glad I went.I never want to be on my death bed wishing I did something.Do some research and go hunt.It's really not to difficult to figure out.Alot of guys do really well on float trips.Now,I want to take a Canadian moose in Newfoundland,and hopefully draw an Idaho tag for a shiras.Newfoundland offers really affordable moose hunts.BTW,my diy moose hunt to Ak was around 6k door to door and having all my meat flown out and delivered to me back East

I dreamed of hunting moose since I was 12 and started hunting.Two years ago I went to Alaska and hunted moose diy.I took a nice 54" bull,and am so glad I went.I never want to be on my death bed wishing I did something.Do some research and go hunt.It's really not to difficult to figure out.Alot of guys do really well on float trips.Now,I want to take a Canadian moose in Newfoundland,and hopefully draw an Idaho tag for a shiras.Newfoundland offers really affordable moose hunts.BTW,my diy moose hunt to Ak was around 6k door to door and having all my meat flown out and delivered to me back East

^^^ Good stuff

Go to Canada....that species of moose is bigger anyways! Can be done easily for around $3000-$5000 through a outfitter. I just did a fly in trip north of Ear Falls for $3000....didn't see any thing though :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back