waders stockingfoot or boot

redduck

Hello everyone,

I want your opinion about waders...stockingfoot or boot waders. They both have there pros and cons and i have owned both, but I am having a hard time deciding which one is better.

Best,
Sam

I've always worn stocking foot. More comfortable walking IMO. The only downside I see to them is that it takes a bit more effort to put boots on.

Depends on if you are using them for waterfowl or fishing. For waterfowl hunting I prefer a bootfoot because they are 1) warmer and 2) less likely to come off in nasty mud. If I'm fishing, I prefer stockingfoot because of 1) a better sole for wading, and 2) a better fit for climbing around in the river rocks.

Stocking foots for most fishing and waterfowl hunting, boot foots for really cold conditions. If you want breathable fabric, then stocking foots for everything. Quality breathable bootfoots are pretty spendy and not worth the money, IMO.

Stocking foot gets my vote, especially when I have a ankle that doesn't bend.

Been back and forth on this as well and I almost popped on a set of g4 zips for the all around waterfowl/ fishing setup. But I stuck with boot foots this year, I picked up a set of banded red zones and I'm not a banded gear guy but for the kind of fowl hunting we do I gotta have something that holds up for more then a year. We spend
A lot of days on the bighorn many below freezing and sub zero temps. In and outta the boats a lot, icing up, busting brush, it's hard on your gear and especially your waders. So far from what I've seen these things go through they work pretty decent. I have a couple buddies that run the orvis boot foots one loves them one wore his out in a month. I see Sims has new ones but I'm not interested in a 1000 dollar set of waders. For fishing stocking foots all day or wet wade.

Depends on if you are using them for waterfowl or fishing. For waterfowl hunting I prefer a bootfoot because they are 1) warmer and 2) less likely to come off in nasty mud. If I'm fishing, I prefer stockingfoot because of 1) a better sole for wading, and 2) a better fit for climbing around in the river rocks.

This!

I am a stocking foot breathable wader guy. The only time I swap to a neoprene boot wader is when we hunt pit blinds or breaking ice on the way in. The stocking foot is going to be the most comfortable for walking distance and for super muddy conditions. I find that when i hunt in muddy bottoms that i sink and my feet get tired from pulling my feet out.

I see you are from Los Angeles, so I would encourage to stay away from neoprene waders. They are too damn hot and you will end up soaked in sweat even if you hunt further north. Most of the guys responding to your post are responding from MUCH colder fall and winter climates.

Secondly, if you are planning to hunt the local refuges, you probably already know how bad the mud gets, particularly around the Salton Sea. Boot foot will be a little more difficult in that kind of mud but if your boot gets stuck you will be able to get out of them and that is a very important safety consideration.

Happy Hunting.

I will add the red zones from banded are breathable, and insulated. A guy can move pretty freely in them not the typical waterfowl wader. A big step up above a stiff neoprene wader. I agree with lots of comments above especially JLS post. Good luck

I use sticking foot then put on cheap rubber boots. I had bad luck with beaver chewed sticks putting holes in the boots in the ones that have the built in boot

Back